Anyone know exactly which glass is used for Okna windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ctviggen1

Anyone know exactly which glass is used for Okna windows?

#1 Post by ctviggen1 »

Getting our Okna windows installed. Has a sticker on them saying "Guardian ClimaGuard". I contacted Okna to ask about getting different coating options (high SHGC for our south-facing windows), but they refused to talk to me. My dealer said the manufacturer of the glass was a secret, but then the windows themselves advertise the manufacturer.

This looks to be the manufacturer and the possible coatings:

https://www.guardianglass.com/residenti ... /index.htm

I'm thinking we're getting this one:

https://www.guardianglass.com/residenti ... /index.htm

But I don't know. Does anyone know which of these we would get (900 series windows, North East US).

Windows on Washington

Re: Anyone know exactly which glass is used for Okna windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Guardian 7138 as a standard.

You can ask for 5527 if you want a better solar control.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1... the secret thing is a little silly. Obviously manufacturers do use some proprietary materials and methods to achieve top level performance, however the brand of the glass and low e profile is pretty common stuff.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The one thing i may add is that although most companies offer LowE, there are many variations of it. For example, Okna’s climaguard lowE may be different from another company. There are about 10 different versions of climaguard that i know of, some better than others and some that are more beneficial to specific regions.

ctviggen1

#5 Post by ctviggen1 »

Hi All, thank you for the answers. It's too late for me, but what I wanted was higher solar gain windows for our southern side. We have a lot of windows/doors on the south, and they let in a lot of heat during the winter, which for New England is good.

The windows (900 series) and sliding glass doors (highest end model) seem to be pretty good. Yesterday, I was putting back up our cellular shades for a large bathroom window (new Okna 900) on the south side and I had to take off my long sleeve shirt (to get to the short sleeve T-shirt I had under it), as it was that warm. We also had our two French doors replaced with Okna sliders and these are also south-facing and seem to be letting in a lot of heat right now, even though it's well below freezing outside.

So, I think the windows and doors are pretty good from this perspective.