Simonton Quotes and Questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Holy Toledo

Simonton Quotes and Questions

#1 Post by Holy Toledo »

I've been reading this board for a couple of weeks and feel like I have learned a lot. Thanks to all the pros who share their expertise. I've been looking around and I'm zeroing in on Simontons as having nearly universal positive reviews and also being available in my area (NW Ohio).

I need to replace 8 double-casement windows
2: 36wx37 (3 horizontal grids)
4: 36 x 50 (4 horizontal grids)
2: 52 x 37 (with grids and a fixed middle light)

The quote I have (all with super spacer and including installation) is: 5500 series = $5997
9800 series = $7250 and Triple-pane (with krypton)= $9250. I have steel frame casement windows in a brick house (1949) which I know cost more to remove. I was offered 20% off to sign on the line right then and there but I didn't take it.

I have several questions:
1. Are these reasonable quotes?

2. I've read here that 9800s are available only through Simonton-trained dealer/installers. If that is true, then my only choice for 9800s may be the above quote, because they are the only "approved" installer that I can find. I e-mailed the Simonton website and they replied that anyone can buy and install Simonton windows (they implied 9800s included). It's all very murky. What's up?

3. The sales info I was shown listed the triple-pane at R=9.1 This seems very high. Were they just showing me the center-of-glass value? I've seen u=.18 (R=5.5?) listed on this board, which sounds more reasonable.

4. Other than intercept vs. super spacer, the Simonton website lists "clear" vs. "lami" Is this a coating and is it something I need to specify when buying?

5. The windows are made in Butler, Indiana. Is this a good plant?

6. Although the sales rep gave a typical gimmicky pitch, I think I am dealing with a fairly reputable local company. Am I missing something important?

Thanks.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

Toledo:

Simonton had a dealer direct program that ended about a 1 1/2 years ago and the Impressions 9800 line was sold exclusively thru these dealers and factory installation training was required. The 9800 is now being sold at all the Simonton distributors and is available to all contractors.

The prices you have received based on a steel removal seem fair.

I am serviced by Simontons West Virginia facility but I would think the quality control is consistant at all their plants.

Laminate glass is where a plastic laminate is sandwiched between two panes of glass. This option is to help prevent break in, sound control, and hurricane resistance. If thermal efficiency is your priority your money is best spent on the triple pane package.

Anytime R-factors in the area of 10 are being presented it is always the center of the glass. This is a bit misleading.

Good Luck,
Bill

randy

#3 Post by randy »

IMO, the 9800 is not worth $1253.00 more than the 5500, considering that both bids include the Super Spacer. If the installation is well done, (and that is the crucial consideration), $5997.00 is a really good price.

Holy Toledo

#4 Post by Holy Toledo »

I appreciate the above information and comments. I'll have to think a little more about which way to go.