Need recommendations for 10 foot Bow Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JimR1998

Need recommendations for 10 foot Bow Window

#1 Post by JimR1998 »

We have a 1950's ranch house and need to replace a very wide set of windows in the front. Right now it's two small double hung windows with a large picture window in the middle-- all are very drafty. Total size is 130"W x 55"H.

We started looking at vinyl mainly becuase we don't need the look of wood on the inside... our trim is very basic and it's all painted. I think we'd be happy with vinyl IF the quality is there.

Right now we have 2 quotes for bows with 5 operating casements: Accu-Weld for $3300 and United Vinyl for $3800. I can't say that I'm honestly happy with the look or feel of either window. They feel somewhat cheap in the showroom, but of course both companies say they will look like a million bucks in my house. And each company is supposedly "the best".

I'm not convinced we need all 5 operating casements but that's what was recomended... my thinking is we could even go double hung to save on cost for an overall better window. My main question is: for something this size should we be looking at wood instead of vinyl?

From the outside we like the look of a wider vertical space between each window, maybe 4" or so. Is this a transom? The vinyl ones quoted both had the windows right up against each other and looked cheap.

We're located in Phiuladelphia... we can get Marvin, but no Sierra-Pacific or Milgard in this area.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is a big purchase no matter what and we don't want to mess up. Thanks!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Jim, If you would like to keep the same appeal as what you already have then go with a Bay over the Bow. The bay window is three lights configured in a 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 split. Meaning the center picture window takes up 50% of the view. The flanking windows each provide 25%. The bow window on the other hand has equally split units all the way across. As for having them all active, it's an installers nightmare! If the window doesn't sit exactly level and plumb for ever, one of the units seems to always have issues. I always sell them with three operating and two stationary. This also adds to the overall integrity of the unit in the long run by keeping it from going out of plumb during the weather changes.

If your home is mainly all DH windows then keep the new unit DH also. The CO windows do let more air flow through the opening. But the DH will always do a great job. Good Luck!!!