Simonton 9800 vs 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nmchugh6

Simonton 9800 vs 5500

#1 Post by nmchugh6 »

Can anyone provide a comparison of the two? Also, it's been a few months and I think that there were also cosmetic differences? Does anyone have photos of each that the could share? How about frame sizes and the amount of glass in each? (Less glass/more frame in either of these?) Thanks much!

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

The 9800 has a curved glazing bead to hold the glass, a sculpted lift rail, and different locking hardware (in the models I last saw) that all look nicer. The 9800 also has a different set of default options, but you can equip the 5500 with most of the same options such as the super spacer, metal reinforcement, wider glass space, laminated glass, etc. Energy efficiency wise, the two models are very similar. I believe there is also a bit of extra weather stripping on the 9800, and the warranty is slightly longer on the glass by default. The available glass area is basically the same. Some detailed photos are here:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... php?t=1655

Are you looking for double pane or triple pane?

mikey105

5500 / 6500

#3 Post by mikey105 »

The lower model numbers in the Simonton product line are sold through Home Depot stores. These are produced by Simonton just for H.D to sell and my experience has been that you can save money by having the windows installed by a Simonton dealer (Reflection product line) instead of trying to upgrade the 5500 series (good-better-best). My job ran $6500+ through H.D and I have the Reflection series with SuperSpacer, self cleaning glass, + tempered glass for $2500 less installed by a 34 year old Simonton company. The warranties are the exact same.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

mikey105:

The warranty for the Reflections 5500 as it applies to the glass even with Super Spacer is not exactly as strong as the 6500 from Depot. You will have 20 years failure and 3 years of breakage. The 6500 from Depot is full lifetime for the same.

The warranty for the Simonton Impressions 9800 when Super Spacer is added is exactly the same as the 6500 full lifetime failure and breakage.

With that being said you still made a good choice and you are getting a better window for less with a very strong warranty. I would not be concerned with the shorter glass breakage warranty it’s a very rare event I think we have replaced two broken glass panels in the last ten years.

Good luck,

Bill