Before I buy...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
flyguy

Before I buy...

#1 Post by flyguy »

My wife and I have decided to replace all the windows in our 1980 2 story house located in Central Iowa as many of them are drafty and some of them are difficuly at best to operate. Two weeks ago the only thing I knew about windows is that you are supposed to be able to see through them. 4 salespeople later, I have come across this discussion board and value your input.

We have 1 large picture window, 2 4-lite casements, 4 3-lite casements, 1 2-lite casement, and 2 single casement windows - all of various sizes.

I believe we have decided on a contractor. He made the most sense when we met with him, and all his references have been superb. In fact, my biggest problem when calling his references is they would not stop raving about him, his crew, and how much they loved their new windows! He was also the one who recommended before I but anything, that I search the net for replacement window discussion forums and do my research. That is how I found this site! And his prices seem to be reasonable too.

He is recommending Gorell windows for us. His prices are about $14,200 for casements (3000 series) or $12,300 for sliders (5300 series). Both include Thermal Master III glass (triple pane, low-E, Krypton), screens, and installation with foam wrap and exterior PVC caps & brick mold [I hope you all know what that means because I really don't].

Here are my questions:
1. Obviously sliders are less expensive. We can afford the difference in price, but would rather save than spend. What are the pros and cons of sliders vs. casements? Our goals include energy efficiency, ease of cleaning, and view [we have a lovely wooded lot and like to look outside]. Of course durability and noise reduction are important too. One concern of mine with sliders is the screen. It looks like the screen on the silders is much harder to remove, clean, and replace. Another salesperson (whom we have already eliminated and was selling the Uniframe line from Great Lakes) told us that casements are more energy efficient than sliders.

2. Should I be concerned that everyone who returned my call from his references list raved about their windows - but each of them purchased Soft Lights, not Gorell? I called the contractor this evening to ask why he recommended Gorell to us and what the differences with Soft Lights, but it was after 8 pm and I do not expect to hear back until tomorrow.

This is a decision we want to make quickly so our windows can be in before the cold weather, but yet it is a big enough purchase to proceed with prudence. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, knowledge, and expertise.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Sliders are slightly less efficient than casements, in general. Some of this is due to higher compression of the casement sash to the frame and better sealing potential in the overall design that results in lower air infiltration rates, and the u-values are often a little lower as well. But in the end, if you are going from old drafty windows, you're going to see huge improvement with either choice, and the difference between styles isn't big in the bottom line savings, so either should work great if installed right. I personally wouldn't choose between styles on efficiency, but look at the other factors you've outlined, such as which you find easier to look at, operate, and clean. In general, I find casements easier to clean, because there are usually fewer exterior horizontal surfaces where leaves, bugs, and dirt collect. Some sliders I've seen have difficult to operate screens, and some casements do as well. I'd just test both on a demo model, but it is sometimes slightly harder on "real life" (larger) windows.

I don't think it is rare to see a window installer who handles multiple brands and chooses the right one for each customer, or needs to switch brands because of supply difficulties, etc. That said, it never hurts to ask about why he suggested Gorell. The installation process does not generally change that much between brands.

Good luck!

windowmannjny

#3 Post by windowmannjny »

fly-without a doubt go with the casements, a much better window in energy performance and looks. Gorell makes a great window as for others choosing soft-lite, that may have been a $$$ issue, if you are looking to reduce noise, you may want to ask about gorells Armor Glass as it will block out more than thermal master 3. hope this helps

flyguy

#4 Post by flyguy »

Thanks for your thoughts and advise. It is really helping us come to a decision.

BTW, I asked the contractor today why he was recommending Gorell to us but all his references had soft lights. His answer was as honest as it was simple. He is in the process of transitioning to Gorell and started emphasising Gorell only about 1 month ago.

I will continue to monitor this post if anyone has any additional tips for me. Thanks again!