Nail Fin/AAMA/Collapes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jennifer_sik

Nail Fin/AAMA/Collapes

#1 Post by jennifer_sik »

[code]Want to find out the pros and cons between Nail Fin and collaping installations.

One company is telling me they only AAMA Nail Fin installation, which will leave a trim around the window, and I have to repaint the outside of the window. Another company saying that they collapes the windows and have the perfect fit to the existing frames.

I am totally confused with the installations method, and cannot find any information on the internet.

Any body help????[/code]

utoo

#2 Post by utoo »

The AAMA installation manual for replacing windows clearly states that if replacing a window that was originally installed into the wall using a nailing fin the new window must also have a fin, either another nailing fin or a flush fin.

The collapse method is not authorized. This method is called screw and glue for a reason. The only thing keeping moisture out of the wall cavity is the caulking used and it will eventually allow moisture into the wall cavity. It make take several years but eventually moisture will enter.

flygirl

#3 Post by flygirl »

Absolutely correct...nailing fin installation is the recommended method. Do need to ask where you live and what kind of windows you have currently. That may also determine what is best for your application.
That "50 year sealant" is only going to last 50 years if you leave it in the tube! :lol: