Schuco casement window issue.....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chrisexv6

Schuco casement window issue.....

#1 Post by chrisexv6 »

Ive already gotten the installer/dealer/Schuco involved (waiting on a call from the factory rep), but I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this.

One of our casement windows was hard to lock. The sash wasnt hitting or anything, and it closed nice and easily but once you tried to lock the handle, the handle would travel fine until you got to the detent where it locks in place. It would be really hard to push it over that detent, and consequently really hard to unlock. If you operated the lock handle with the sash open (i.e. not locking the window) it operated fine.

Its actually at the point now where we cant open it....the installer locked it yesterday (it was hard to do again) and now we cant get the handle open. He saw that and said he would call Schuco to have them take a look.

Any ideas? Just curiosity at this point as Im hopeful that Schuco will fix it for me.

Thanks!
-Chris

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It's an easy fix. Have him raise the hook shaped keepers (on the sash itself) 1/4"-1/2" until it locks properly. One of keepers must have had loose screws and slid down as they are adjustable.
If you can't get it open at all now, then the installer forcing it down probably stripped the mechanism in the handle assembly where it hooks onto the multi-point locking bar... and he'll have to replace the handle. Again, just 2 screws and easy to replace.
If he gets there and can't get it open, you can get on my website, get my cell phone number and call me. I'll walk him through the instructions of how to open the sash without damaging anything.

chrisexv6

#3 Post by chrisexv6 »

Thanks for the reply, I sent you an email with a response.

-Chris