Milgard Styleline vs Classic - Retrofit

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dschuman

Milgard Styleline vs Classic - Retrofit

#1 Post by dschuman »

I am wondering if anyone had information regarding the Milgard Styleline vs the Classic series. I know that the Classic has one inch of space between the glass compared to 3/4 of an inch for the Styleline. Are there any other differences between the windows? I am leaning toward the Styleline due to price.

Also, if anyone can let me know of other window brands of similar quality but with a better price that would be appreciated.

One more question. Is new construction was better than retrofit. Once again leaning toward retrofit due to price.

squeege

#2 Post by squeege »

dschuman,

There are many differences between the Classic and Styleline. Styleine is more energy efficient than Classic (.35 avg U-value vs. .38 avg. U-value) for starters. Here is a list of a few of the other differences.

Styleline-----Classic
2 7/8" Frame depth-----3 3/8" Frame depth
Uneven sightline-----Even sightline
Limited products(no awnings/casements)-----Full product availability
No mulling available-----Mulling available
Flat grids only-----Flat & sculptured grids
Low E standard-----Low E standard
Argon available-----Argon available
Lifetime warranty-----Lifetime warranty

As for the new construction vs. retrofit (stucco flange/flush fin/Z-bar)installtion, that depends on your siding application. For stucco, it is rare that anyone would use a nail flange window to replace an old window. For wood siding or wood double hung replacement, it would be the opposite. A little more info would go a long way. By the way, the comparison above is very limited, and should in no way be your determining factor. Make sure you select the product line or window brand by what best fits your situation and pocket book. There is no window brand that is a "one size fits all". Good luck with your project.

dschuman

Thanks for the info squeege

#3 Post by dschuman »

I have a few more questions for you. First let me give you my specifics. I live in Northern California and I have wood siding. With wood trim around my current windows.

Based on your reply it seems that I should get new construction since I have wood siding. But I am not sure.

Also, I know that there are many windows out there but if you recommend some good ones in the Milgard range that would be appreciated.

One last thing. What is a uneven sightline.

squeege

#4 Post by squeege »

dschuman,

If you currently have wood trim around your windows, it should be easy for an installer to remove the wood trim and remove your existimg winows. The installer could then follow the AAMA 2400 guidelines to reflash your windows and keep your existing weather resistant barrier intact, as well as being able to lap the new flexible flashing into the system properly. As an installing dealer, whenever we run into a wood siding application (especially with trim), we would prefer to install this way. It provides for the most waterproof installation available as well as giving a chance to make sure that there is no dry rot around the windows.

As for an even/uneven sightline, the Classic window has an even sightline, Styleline is uneven. The even sightline means that the two pieces of glass in the Classic window are the same size and when a slider/single hung is open, you don't see the vent material in the fixed panel. When you open a Styleline window, you will see the vinyl of the vent throught the glass of the fixed panel. Is one better than the other? No, one isn't, it is just preference. The Classic was designed this way to mimic a wood window, the Styleline was not.

As for other windows in Northern California, I'm not sure what is available to you. It seems like a lot of manufacturers are regional in where they sell. Milgard is a good choice, but if you decide to go a different direction, just make sure you look at the important current issues and things for 5-10 years down the road. Is the manufacturer using current technology to provide an energy efficient and product that will perform well for the next 15-20 years? Is the manufacturer stable and going to be there to back up the warranty? (The same should apply to your dealer/installer.) If anything does go wrong with your windows down the road, what will it cost you out of pocket to repair them (labor coverage underwarranty)? These things sound kind of hokey, but your home is the single largest investment you will ever make. Protect it well, and don't take shortcuts. Hope this helps. Good luck.

RVEXLER

Classic Versus Styeline

#5 Post by RVEXLER »

Removing the wood trim is not necessary for the installation you described. The fin of the window (zbar) is designed to be cut to fit within the wood trim. And just a few additions:

1) Classic = 3/4" airspace (1/8" glass x 2) = 1" overall
2) Styeline = 1/2" airspace (1/8" glass x 2) = 3/4" overall

Our numbers from Milgard show Classic to be better for sound reduction (more airspace between glas) and better for U value. Styleline has slightly better shgc due to more glass in any given size, hence more low-e which equals better shgc.

Styleline limited to 8' x 5', Classic can go up to 12' x 6' (xox). Sculptured grids are available in both lines (at least out of the Temecula branch).

kris

#6 Post by kris »

milgard classic does have equal site lines when looking at the glass sizes. however with or without flush fin the frame profile around the "o" or fixed panel is approx inch and a half wider then on "x" or sliding side of window.
makes for a very uneven and bulky appearance compared to other brands.
have you looked at Anlin, Simonton or Amerimax? these brands are fabricated and sold in central/northern ca area.

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

dschuman,

I live in N. Cal also. Looks at the Amsco window, the Jeld-Wen Premium, Simonton and the Amerimax windows. If you would like, post what major city you are closest to and I can recommned some good dealers.

dschuman

earwax

#8 Post by dschuman »

Hi earwax,

I live in Fremont which is in the East Bay area. The biggest city near me is San Jose.

Any dealers you can recommend would be great.

Thanks,
dschuman

dschuman

Another ? earwax

#9 Post by dschuman »

What do you think of the Milgard windows?

Also, I have decided to go with new construction and was wondering if you had any thoughts about this?

earwax

#10 Post by earwax »

If you live in Fremont, go to Bay city windows. They are right off the 680.

3030 Osgood CT
Fremont, CA 94539
(510) 353-1600

Talk to Curtis if you can. They have several lines in the show room. The are a big Milgard dealer. The also carry the Jeld-Wen premium line and the International window. This will give you a good comparison.

Milgard is a good window. So are the others. If you go to San Jose, go to Able glass. I know they carry the Amsco window and are the Largest Milgard dealer in the area. THe too also carry several other lines to look at. Good luck.

dschuman

Thanks earwax

#11 Post by dschuman »

I have talked to Bay City and they are on my short list.

Unfortunately, Able glass will not come to my home, I guess I am too far for them.

I did some research and Windows Express sell the Amsco line of windows. Have you heard about Window Express and also what is your impression of the Amsco line. I know it costs less than Milgard but I want to make sure I get a quality window. They also carry a window called Better Built. I have not heard anything about them.

earwax

#12 Post by earwax »

I do not have any experience with window express. The Amsco window is a good window and is new to California. They have been around for years in Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado and Wyoming. You will get a good window with Amsco, but a better warranty with Milgard or Jeld-Wen.