Retrofit Instillations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dschuman

Retrofit Instillations

#1 Post by dschuman »

I was wondering if anyone had information on the correct method for installing retrofit windows, website or anything else. I have wood siding and have been given different instillation techniques by a few contractors. One contractor told me that the Milgard retrofit windows can not be foam filled. If they are I would lose my warranty. Is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

squeege

#2 Post by squeege »

dschuman,

Your contractor is correct about the Milgard windows not being able to be foam filled. Milgard does not have that capability and doesn't have plans to add that to their product offering anytime in the near future.

As for installation guides, ask your dealer to provide you with the AAMA installtion guides that Milgard provides to their dealers. They are white brochures, about 6 to 12 pages long. One is the AAMA 2400-02 brochure that covers new construction nail flange installation (a modified cutback retro would be based on this brochure), and the AAMA 2410-03 brochure covers the flush fin/Z-bar installation. Milgard has been producing the brochures for about 2 years under license with AAMA. They will have both the Milgard and AAMA logo on the front.

Good luck!

RVEXLER

FOAM FILLED

#3 Post by RVEXLER »

Your contractor was probably referring to the use of expanding foam used between the new window frame and the interior drywall, not the frame itself. Milgard has concerns about the use of the foam that if not done properly will expand and cause the frame to bow. We are a certified Milgard dealer and have been using non-expanding foam for 10 years and have never had a problem; but Milgard is still concerned with its use and would prefer that the installation be done with insulation being stuffed in by hand.