Model "Show Home" Offer for Simonton Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
newbiegirrl

Model "Show Home" Offer for Simonton Windows

#1 Post by newbiegirrl »

I was contacted out of the blue by a local contractor who offered me a shot at their "advertising co-op" program.

The idea is that I get a big discount on replacement windows, and they take before and after shots of my house and use it as a drive-by model for other prospective clients for 60 days.

I have 21 windows, different sizes but fairly standard I think, and they quoted me Simonton 5300 series with Low E and argon gass and half screens.

Total quote is $9500... I have a day to decide. If I go with the program, it will all be done in less than 2 weeks.

Does this sound like a significant discount, or high-pressure sales technique? I have been thinking of replacing my windows and if this is a good deal, I will probably move ahead with it but I'm a tad suspicious of the whole cold-call thing.

The man who came to discuss the program was very nice and not high pressure at all, but I have no basis for comparison. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks in advance for your help! This is a GREAT resource.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

newbiegirl

I think you already know the answer to this. You need to watch the movie Tinmen. Their approach is a joke and if I were you, I'd be seriously offended.

newbiegirrl

#3 Post by newbiegirrl »

Well, that's what I was afraid of!

I've got a couple of calls to other companies to get a competitive quote... we'll see if it's even in the ball park....

Thanks for your response. Sometimes we all need a little common sense knocked into us.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Most people hate the sales BS, but until people stop falling for it, it will continue. Just this week, my spouse asked three companies to come in to bid on carpeting for our master bedroom. Prices ranged from 1,400 to 1.900. The low-bid guy made the claim that his price was 50% off for the same quality of goods. With me as a partner, you can understand that my spouse heard the "Big Bell accompanied by the waving Red Flag" at this point and he immediately lost the sale.

Quality companies that deserve your respect... will show you respect and NOT play emotionally driven games with your money.

newbiegirrl

#5 Post by newbiegirrl »

For the record... this turns out to be a very good deal!

Since I had 3 days to cancel (legally) I accepted the offer then got 3 competitive bids.

Bids for the same style and brand and installation came in at:

$15,406
$14,500
$16,900

So, their offer of $9500 is actually an excellent value for me.

I really didn't get the feeling it was a scam, but it had such scammy overtones that logic said something must not be right.

I almost called and cancelled the deal after reading this thread, but I'm glad I took the time to check things out! Looks like I'm getting a bargain.

Thanks for your feedback and for being skeptical... I might have questioned myself for years if I hadn't gotten competitive quotes. :)