Schuco & other options in north Jersey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Carnivore

Schuco & other options in north Jersey

#1 Post by Carnivore »

We're about to replace most of the windows in our home and this forum has been a great research tool, so thanks to everyone for making it a worthwhile read.

We'll be getting a quote on Schuco Corona 4000 series in a couple of days, but I've learned that the Schuco dealer in our area has a monopoly on the territory and his prices may be high. Also, we'd love to have our usual contractor install our new windows, but the quote we'll get from Morris will include their installation, they won't just sell us the windows outright. We're willing to hear their quote though.

Our own contractor is a trusted neighbor and friend who has done brilliant work for us in the past and we know he'll be there for us after the job if we need him. I don't think he can get Schuco products for us but he can get Sunrise windows for us through his usual channels, or he'll try to get us any other product at our request if he can.

So I'll start with our first option - which Sunrise product line is comparable to (or competive with) the Schuco 4000 series?

Also, can somebody recommend where to look in north Jersey for any of these other brands, where the vendor would be willing to sell the windows to us (or to our installer) outright? We have both premium and mid-grade models on our short list so we can consider the best options for our budget once we get some prices:
Vista
Gorell
Simontron
Alside
Marvin

Thanks!

MikeE

Re: Schuco & other options in north Jersey

#2 Post by MikeE »

After much research I purchased Simonton windows from Bill @ Uneeda. He had the best price and was super easy to deal with. He was also quick with returning calls and responding to my emails in record time. When I was trying to choose options he sent different quotes in a very detailed and easy to read pdf file that included all of the specs and prices which made it really easy to compare.

I bought 39 windows for a DIY install by my Dad who used to install windows for a living many moons ago. Almost all of them are in and they are a high quality window.

http://www.uneedawindow.com/

Hope this helps,

Mike E.

penncy

#3 Post by penncy »

check out the companies web sites and see who is your local dealer. most are big name companies you have listed so they should have dealers in your area.

www.alside.com

you have the simonton rep's link.

www.gorell.com

www.marvin.com

didnt find anything on vista.

Carnivore

#4 Post by Carnivore »

I had Schuco out a week ago, they measured and gave us the whole demonstration, but never got back to us with their quote and the guy hasn't returned my calls. I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly.

I've tracked down the rest of the area reps and distributors. The Simonton 9800 with upgrades looks like a great value. Thanks for the replies.

penncy

#5 Post by penncy »

ever purchase windows? how did it go? who did you choose? thanks

Carnivore

#6 Post by Carnivore »

We ended up getting Simonton 9800's, triple glazed, Low-E & Krypton throughout, except for the basement where we used double-glazed Simonton 5500's.

I bought the windows at a local distributor (building supply company) and had the installation done by our usual contractor who we know and trust. I also spoke to Bill at Uneeda, and he told me we're so far away from him that it would probably make more sense to do it our own way. We're very happy with our choices. The windows seem to be a terrific value for the money, and our guy did a nice job on the installation.

The Schuco rep never did get back to us. I can't understand why he'd spend a whole evening here giving us his sales pitch and then never get back with a quote, even after I called and left a follow-up message. Pretty sleazy in my opinion. We did think the Schuco windows looked a bit nicer than the Simontons (mostly because of the latches), and I would have been willing to pay a little more for them if the price difference had been reasonable. I get the feeling they would have been consderably more expensive though, but I guess we'll never know. Anyway we're very pleased with our choices and I'd recommend the Simontons to anyone.