VPI vs. CDI Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kbritz

VPI vs. CDI Windows

#1 Post by kbritz »

Hi everyone -

Interested in learning anything known about the quality of the windows from two Northwest manufacturers: VPI (Spokane, WA) and CDI (Tacoma, WA).

From the salesmen's perspective, these two are the hottest products since sliced bread... :roll: I checked out both companies' web sites and found them lacking the level of detail that would help me. So I'm looking to this community for relative pros and cons of the two products and manufacturers.

We are likely to purchase a number of slider windows and one casement/egress window. Heard from one salesman that an egress window needs special hinges to open all the way (anyone to confirm).

Interested in learning about differences with:
- hardware (PVC, extrusion molds, glass, spacers, water drains, rollers, latches, etc.)
- style (placement of screen, site lines, latches, handles, etc.)
- warranty
- longevity

Also, would love to hear about lessons learned with these products or the companies who sell/install them.

Please let me know if you think there is a manufacturer (available in Seattle) with a better product than these two specific manufacturers.

Thanks!

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

Available in Seattle:

Milgard
Simonton
Certainteed
Jeld-Wen
Cascade
LBL
Alside

These are all brands that are available there. Look at the top 4 and the LBL also. Compare the two windows you have with them. I have not heard of the two windows you asked about, but 5 of the 7 listed are national brands with good warranties.

kbritz

#3 Post by kbritz »

Hi earwax - thanks for the information. I am familiar with Milgard and Jeld-Wen, and we have already decided that the quality of the 'fit and finish' isn't to the level we are looking for. I'll check out the other three you recommended (Simonton, Certainteed, LBL).