Milgard Classic vs Simonton 7500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dschuman

Milgard Classic vs Simonton 7500

#1 Post by dschuman »

Ok, I need some help.
I have decided to get either the Milgard Classic and Simonton 7500 windows.
Price is about the same so that is not a consideration.
The difference I can see is that the Simonton is Argon filled while the Milgard is air field. Also, the locks on the two windows are different.

I have wood siding with wood trim around the windows and I have decided to go with new construction windows.

As of right now I am leaning towards the Milgard window but I am still not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

Both are good windows. Are they from the same installer. IF they are from the same company, I would take the Milgard, because I like the lock and the operation. Simonton has done a great job this year in the Vacaville plant and are going great. Simonton has the glass breakage warranty and the super spacer. YOu can get the Milgard with Argon, last I checked. They are made in Hollister for the South Bay area.

SOunds to me like you have picked two good windows. Even I can't tell you which is better. It comes down to personal preferences at this point for you.

Who did you go with for the dealer?

dschuman

Reply to earwax

#3 Post by dschuman »

If we go with Simonton then we will have Bay City Windows do the windows. If we pick Milgard then it will be wither Bay City or Window Express.

I got a quote for AMSCO new construction windows and it was a very good price. I just don't know a lot about the window and that makes me nervous.

One more thing. I have been told that the Milgard window is esay to pop open from the outside. That is what the rep for the AMSCO window said. He also sells Milgard but he was really pushing the AMSCO window. Starting to get confused again.

RVEXLER

Milgard has a better warranty.

#4 Post by RVEXLER »

The Simonton warranty does not cover labor.

squeege

#5 Post by squeege »

dschuman,

Milgard windows are not easy to pop open from the outside. When Milgard originally launched the positive action lock, there was a problem with the strike plate that caused them to redesign it. "Under certain circumstances" a person could pop the lock open from the outside, but that was solved many years ago.

Good luck.

Door&WindowPlus

Re: Milgard has a better warranty.

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

RVEXLER wrote:The Simonton warranty does not cover labor.
i think your getting Simonton's warranty mixed up. On the East Coast it has no labor warranty. On the West Coast it has a LIFETIME LABOR WARRANTY.

Door&WindowPlus

#7 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell both windows. I sell more Milgards to my contractors buying windows but its about even to homeowners.

Milgard Classic: Intercept spacer. Air filled with Argon as an option. Night lok not available. Self Locking latch. Acrylic rollers on XO sliders. Comes in xo, xox, o, sh, dh, bays, bows, and casements. Even sight lines. Flat fin on retrofit windows. Lifetime warranty on vinyl and glass package and labor. One year on screen and parts. Tranferable for 10 years.

Simonton 7500 series: Intercept or Superspacer(grey standard, white is extra). Argon Gas standard. Night lok standard. Cam locks. Acrylic or brass rollers on XO sliders. Brass cost a extra $1.25. Comes in same types as Milgard. Even sight lines. Beveled fin on retrofit windows. Lifetime warranty on everything. Vinyl, Glass Package, Glass breakage, screens, parts, and labor. Transferable for life.

Argon, brass rollers, superspacer and warranty usually sells the Simonton window. Some people like the flat fin and buy the Milgard because of the look alone. Some people buy the Milgard because of the self closing lock. I also sell alot of the 7300 Simonton series because of small fin. It doesnt quite have even sight lines but some people dont want a huge fin on their stucco house.

Does anyone else sell both Migard and Simonton? Do you guys sell to the public or are you always doing the installation? Which window do you sell more of? Which do you say is a better window and which do you charge more for?