Simonton 5000

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gtanse

Simonton 5000

#1 Post by gtanse »

We had a contractor do an estimate for Simonton windows and when I asked him about the Super Spacer instead of the Intercept he had a blank look on his face . My husband called him back today and told him for the price he quoted we want the Super Spacer and extruded aluminum screen frames and he said," That would be the Simonton 5000." Now, when I went to the Simonton website I couldn't find a 5000 window. Is that a downgrade from the 5500 that only contractors have access to?

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

Your contractor probably is not familiar with Super Spacer but his distributor can educate him. No need to upgrade the screen on the 5500 extruded is standard.

There is not a 5000 model number.

Bill

gtanse

#3 Post by gtanse »

Thanks Bill. I spoke to another contractor today and he said the Super Spacer doesn't make enough difference in energy efficiency between it and the Intercept to warrant the price increase. I have read here in this forum that the Super Spacer is the best one for the Simonton window. I think I'm going to call another contractor for a third estimate and get his opinion. I did have Window World come to measure my windows but when I asked the guy what kind of sealant he uses, ( he's been an installer for Champion for 10 years before Window World) he didn't know. Said it was some kind of silicone/latex stuff. He was very hyper and complained about how his boss made him wait with all the other employees for two hours to get his paycheck. They won't give me any references so I decided to not acknowledge Window World's existence.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

Your contact is right in that adding the SuperSpacer won't make a huge difference in the u-factor of the window. That said, the real advantage is in the expected longevity of the deal. Chances are that SuperSpacer will help keep the argon/krypton gas in there from escaping and also keep the inside of your window panes from fogging for a longer period.

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

You do not get a huge change in u factor when you switch to Super Spacer the u factor on a double hung drops to .31 from .33. The increase in energy efficiency is only part of the story. You get a better seal with Super Spacer in regard to argon gas retention and the possibility of glass failure is greatly reduced. You will also get double strength glass and a 1â€