spiral balance vs compound tension balance

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rabs

spiral balance vs compound tension balance

#1 Post by Rabs »

I have a choice between spiral balances and compound tension balances. The installer said that he likes the spiral balances because he can make adjustments to them if necessary. I like the compound tension balance because it seems like a better system. Any help would be appreciated.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My vote would be with your choice. 9 out of 10 here will say the same thing.

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

I wish I had a dollar for every spiral balance I've had to replace in the last 15 years. They'll wear out even if you don't use them. They must get condensation on them and rust when the weather conditions are right for that. Plus they are kind of oily and collect dust which doesn't help them operate easily.

Rabs

#4 Post by Rabs »

The manufacturer of the spiral balance in question is Caldwell Manufacturing. They claim that their spiral balance is "laser welded aluminum" and will not rust. I still think the compound tension balance is a much better system.

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

The housing is aluminum, the shaft is steel. Steel rusts. They are usually associated with a low end window and probably cost 50 cents less than the coil spring balance.

Dan

#6 Post by Dan »

I used spiral balances in our windows for close to 20 years. Sure we had failures but it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I have never seen a spiral balance rust though. As I purchased all spiral balances from Caldwell maybe it was their competitions balances that rusted.

Currently we use constant force balances. This is our sixth year using them and, to be perfectly honest, the only problems we have had were either errors in our shop or people manhandling the sashes to take them out.

JScott - the spiral balances were pretty much the best balance just a few years ago. I used to pay more for the spiral balances than I currently pay for constant force balances.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

Dan,
Its common to see rust on units installed into the bath area, probably due to excessive moisture. I have even noticed tilt pins totally deteriorate. One of my local competitors gives information in their presentation which indicates the three common balance systems as well as the life cycles before failure. I do not remember the exact numbers but I believe the spiral balances from caldwell are at 12,000 cycles and they are higher for coil and block and tackle. I also believe many manufacturers use an inappropriate sized balance in that they are unable to keep every size in stock and this has lead to our professional decisions we have observed, just a hunch. Gorell has the best balance system I have seen so far although most others work well and for many years.

Rabs

#8 Post by Rabs »

My only choice for the windows that I'm looking at is either the spiral balance or compund tension balance. It seems that the compound tension balance would be a better choice even though the installer likes the spiral balances from Caldwell.