Spacer Creep?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eurochamps67

Spacer Creep?

#1 Post by eurochamps67 »

My home in Florida has a number of windows where the spacer has protruded between the glass - in some cases by an inch or more and getting worse with time. Is there a fix for this?

These are Swiggle spacers which i have seen discussed on the board.

Thanks

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

The only fix is to replace the insulated glass unit.

This is why most of us hate Swiggle even the aluminum spacers never did this. This tends to happen when the window gets direct sun.

The picture below is of one I recently replaced if you click on the image it should enlarge

Bill

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

"This tends to happen when the window gets direct sun."

WOW, What is actually going on there? What are the forces at work that make that happen? I would imagine it is heat related, but what are the mechanics at work?

XSleeper

#4 Post by XSleeper »

I've also had to replace IGU's where the swiggle has done the exact same thing (good pic, BTW). Some of them were on the north side and not even in direct sunlight.

I wonder if it has to do with inconsistancies in the manufacturing process. Otherwise, why would 99% of them be fine, then every once in a while you find one that will do that?

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

Maybe the seal on the spacer is not broken but has become soft like gum is some areas and therefore the lower pressure between the panes is allowing the higher pressure outside to slowly push the spacer in.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Maybe the bowing in of the swiggle has to do with argon gas leakage.
Argon leaching out can cause a vacuum effect between the panes, which can cause the glass to be concave, sometimes causing the panes to be touching in the middle.
Maybe the vacuum pressure caused by the argon leaching out is pulling the swiggle spacer material in......just a possible hypothesis. I don't know if that is the cause or not.

eurochamps67

#7 Post by eurochamps67 »

Thanks for the response. I have many windows just like the photo

Regards

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

I'd say the swiggle is simply following the laws of nature. It was only held in place by super conductors such as glass and the metal spline and adhered to fragile, non-edge-deleted coatings. As they lose grip when heated... gravity will take it's toll and allow it to congregate at the lower end due to sag and softening. In electric wiring, the energy reaches it's source directly, thus bypassing the insulator. In the case of swiggle or other similar product used in a loop, the energy (heat) carried through it's conductive core simply moves to the next available surface. If it was vacuum drawn, it would move to the point of the lowest pressure... or the center, instead of the bottom. Notice the gradual sag on the left... as if it was a drooping sock. It's simply pushing upon the next adjacent surface (bottom) to also give way. Matter has to go somewhere if it meets a greater force. GO SWIGGLE!!!! (Ducking)