Installing windows in winter

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mike A

Installing windows in winter

#1 Post by Mike A »

I'm interested in having vinyl replacement windows installed in my home. I couldn't get around to having it done earlier this year. Is there a preferred time of year to having it done? I'm in Northern California, and the rainy season will start soon. Can they be installed during this type of weather, or are there any issues when installing during this time of year, and is it better to have them installed during a drier time of year?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I don't know much about California's rainy season, gut I can tell you we install year round here in MN. If it goes below 10 degrees or the wind chill becomes dangerous we keep the troops home. When it comes to rain, we won't work if it's coming down at a steady pace. Windows become very slippery to handle and electricity doesn't mix well with a wet body! We go at it if it's just a drizzle sometimes if we're stuck in a job already started. Otherwise it's just the approach. In the colder weather we pull a window and then fill the opening with the new unit right away. In the warmer conditions we have someone doing the tear out of the existing windows while we set the new ones behind them. So we can have all the units in the house removed and open to the elements. It's very different in the Winter. You don't want that cold wind blowing in your face while your working. The only other issue would be caulking. The installer must make sure things are dried off before caulking or the seal can be in jeopardy. We use a caulk called Lexall which sticks in the wet weather and resists mold & mildew. I'm sure there are other kinds that work we just like that kind (because it smells like the old school Model Glue)JK.

Mike A

#3 Post by Mike A »

Thanks for the reply; our weather here is not severe, but never having had these installed before, I was concerned if the moisture during winter had any effect on how good a seal & fit you get. The original windows are wood & we'll be keeping the frames and retrofit with vinyl, so I was concerned if the integrity of the seal would be compromised by moisture, either involving the caulking or any swelling of the frames due to moisture.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

I'd say that waiting until after the summer ends may be a good choice in some cases. The home improvement sector slows down a little around this time, and you might find people slightly more flexible on pricing and there might be a shorter wait to get your windows made and installed. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. The best installers can still demand a premium, and other companies have set prices they don't move much on, no matter the season.

As long as it isn't an extreme weather day for you, you'll be OK.

Mike A

#5 Post by Mike A »

Thanks!

Mike A.