Price quote help in N. Virginia

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cjohnston22

Price quote help in N. Virginia

#1 Post by cjohnston22 »

Looking for advice on which windows to buy. I live in Northern Virginia. Below are my options so far. All would have grids in between the panes. I have been told all are double pane, low e argon, energy star rated:

Ted Lansing Corp (North Carolina), Windjammer Series 60, $6,375. Lifetime warranty on all but glass, 10 years on glass. Lifetime on glass for $15 per window. Neighbor likes his so far.

BF Rich (Delaware), Vintage, $6,450. Lifetime warranty on all but glass, 10 years on glass.

Vytex (Laurel, Maryland), Heritage, $7,024. Lifetime warranty on all but glass, 10 years on glass. Lifetime labor for $100. Contractor very local and impressive.

Gorell, 5100 Series, $8,790. Lifetime warranty on all but glass, 50 years on glass.

Traco, 911, $10,240.

Renewal by Andersen, $14,500.

We have a total of 15 windows to replace:
3 are 35 ¾ x 65;
1 is 35 ¾ x 37;
9 are 35 ¾ x 53.

What is the tradeoff between quality and price. I am much more comfortable in the 6-7,000 dollar range than I would be at 8,000 and above. Thanks, :)

cjohnston22

#2 Post by cjohnston22 »

Looks like we might be leaning to the BF Rich product over the Vytex. The contractor said he would add spotless TI and and they get 100 percent marks for service and very good on price. And their grids are slightly more appealing. Otherwise the Rich and Vytex product seem very similar. the rich was just a tad better on the U Factor, etc and are $500 cheaper.

Kind of surprised/disappointed there have been no replies to this, but you don't always get what you want I guess. :wink:

windowman pa

Windows in N. VA

#3 Post by windowman pa »

Did you check with The Window Man in Fairfax, VA? :D

They handle a few lines! :D

Good luck :D

rgraham

#4 Post by rgraham »

I second that recommendation of The Window Man in Fairfax. After a few months of research, I decided to go with Schucos, and went by the Window Man to talk to them and get a quote. I had talked to other window people, and it always felt like dealing with a used car salesman. These guys are different, I have to say. No BS, and a good price. The price for the Schuco Corona 4000 (triple pane, krypton) without any add-ons (such as grids, wood laminate, etc.) was $469, but one of my buddies just signed with them for the same window and it was $419 each (they're running a sale, apparently... not sure when it ends). Installation was $135 per window. The installer did an excellent job. The salesman I dealt with is Jon Schoeinke (not sure of the spelling of his last name).

cjohnston22

Window Update

#5 Post by cjohnston22 »

We never checked with Window Man.

We wound up getting NOVA Installations, BF Rich Vintage windows. We got Spotless TI on the outside. They are not high end, but we wanted to stay out of the 8-10 thousand dollar range and these should last a long time. Total Cost was $6800 (we added a basement window to our original data above). U Factor is .32, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient is .29 and visible transmittance is .47.

There was a small problem with the order, they ordered one too many of one window and one too few of another, but that doesn't seem to be a major problem. The windows look fine and the Installation went well. We have to clean them all real well to get any glue or gunk off and check for any problems, but so far so good.

Not sure what I think of the spotless TI. It hasn't rained yet. We have to clean them up and then it will depend if they seldom need to be cleaned. If they don't it will be good. If we have to clean them a lot anyway, it probalby will be a drag not using regular windex and drying. Time will tell. It was free. That's all for now. :)

joelsindc

update??

#6 Post by joelsindc »

cjohnson. How do you like your windows now 3 months later? I am also looking at Nova Installations BFRich Vintage. Am comparing to Certainteed and American Jewel(American Home Center, Inc. MD)

BKA

Re: Price quote help in N. Virginia

#7 Post by BKA »

[quote="cjohnston22"]Looking for advice on which windows to buy. I live in Northern Virginia. Below are my options so far. All would have grids in between the panes. I have been told all are double pane, low e argon, energy star rated:

Ted Lansing Corp (North Carolina), Windjammer Series 60, $6,375. Lifetime warranty on all but glass, 10 years on glass. Lifetime on glass for $15 per window. Neighbor likes his so far.

From BKA
I am curious to see if you got any information from Ted Lansing Corp on the Clipper Series 7100's (made by Survivor Technologies). I am looking at those through Lansing in about the same price range, warranty low E , argon and grids. I am in about the same price range with the Clippers and have been ltrying to compare to the Windjammers (made by Atrium).

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

Milgard has a plant in Fredricksburg, VA. I would look at the classicII series. Most brands you mentioned are not available in my area. I also like the Gorell. Sometimes I have a problem with numbers but I only added up 13 windows. Hope this helps and good luck.

kcolney

#9 Post by kcolney »

BKA

having done some research know that many companies buy windows from a major manufacturer like simonton and Alside and then slap there own brand on it. I knocked Milgard off my selection screen from some information i got on this board. there is a photo of a simonton (i think or a schuco) and a Milgard window and there is a close up of the edge where the windows meet and it was very clear that the inner window was not built correctly, because the mitered edges were off by a good inch. It looked horrible. Now this could have been photo touched by a competitor of Milgard but i dont know.
Beware of brands that you dont hear of or brands that are not discussed on this or other boards. They are prob not the same quality as established companies.

I really like the Simonton 5500 or the 9800 (JD power 2007 award winner)
the Alside Sheffields Revere is the same
or the Marvin fiberglass windows.

your post of $200 or so a window is a good price but pay a bit more for quality installation, thats where the difference really comes in.

BKA

#10 Post by BKA »

[quote="kcolney"]BKA

Thanks for the information. I will look at the Simonton. as my neighbor has those windows. Interesting story though, the owner of the company that did his windows is now opening up his own Window World Franchise- I wasn't too impressed with their sales staff nor their window's aesthetics.

As relates to the Clipper windows at Ted Lansing, they are manufactured in Hillside, NJ at Survivor Technologies- Parent company is Jancors (and they own Kensington also). Survivor's website shows they meet AAMA, NFRC, Energy STAR, etc. It is interesting that this company is little known. www.survivorwindows.com

BKA

Bill

#11 Post by Bill »

The Survivor windows are made near me here in New Jersey; the quality of the product is lower end. You are better off with the Simonton 5500, 9800 or the Alside Sheffield.

Bill

BKA

Windows research

#12 Post by BKA »

Bill,
Thanks for your post regarding Survivor. Your response is the first of someone knowing about Survivor. Can you elaborate on why the windows are low end? Performance? Aesthetics? longevity? I have single pane glass now with storms on a 30 year old home. Looking to cover some wood rot and get better efficiency in central virginia.
I did look at Simonton today and the 5500 is a nice window- but am working from a tight budget- so I will have to run the numbers.

gailbird

#13 Post by gailbird »

rgraham wrote:I second that recommendation of The Window Man in Fairfax. ... The installer did an excellent job...
I surprised myself yesterday by signing a contract when all I'd intended was a first estimate. It's for a 3-window living room unit, Kensington's Quantum 2. I have 2 more days to cancel, so I'm doing my homework and just scheduled an apptmt tomorrow with The Window Man after seeing your recommendation. Thank you! In other threads here I see the Q2 called "very high end." I'm fortunate, but newly retired and still trying to get comfy w/in the confines of a dramatically tighter belt. High-end windows aren't what I think I need, no matter how impressively well made they seem.

I'm gonna keep reading and see what TWMan recommends. If any of you good people wanna give me some advice, I'm all eyes and grateful. My prior experience is with 8 Tracos, most of which keep me thinking it's raining outside :cry: and 14 Andersens that I like except for their lack of security vent locks. The unit I'm replacing now is 2 2' dbl-hungs with a 4' picture betwn them. I'm thinking a 3-section slider would work well since I love open air when safe and have a sofa in front of this unit. Any thots on this for a novice on a budget?

Regardless, thanks again! gail

gailbird

#14 Post by gailbird »

Had a chat with TWMan this evening. He says Schuco and Imperial LS are about the same cost and both quality windows. I quizzed him on his recent experience with Schuco's quality and warranty. He says he's surprised to hear I've read complaints, that he's heard none. After reading here, I'm leaning toward the Imperial LS unless y'all warn me away.

Anybody here? TIA, gail

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

All things being equal...they are fairly comparable windows. Being that Schuco is completely screwed up right now...I would opt for the Soft-Lite.

I personally prefer that window anyway and am more comfortable with it.