Milgard Aluminum vs. bronze vinyl (Amsco)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
marel

Milgard Aluminum vs. bronze vinyl (Amsco)

#1 Post by marel »

I posted a few weeks ago about some of my issues re: getting new windows. The short version is that I don't want to replace all my windows (money reasons mostly)--at least not for now--but have to replace at least one that is leaking down the wall. What I have now is bronze aluminum, single pane, mostly horizontal sliders and 4 patio doors. I actually like the look of the aluminum--narrow frame, lots of glass, color blends in with my townhouse's color scheme more than white vinyl would.

If I want the new windows (and I'll be getting at least one window and one patio door, maybe a few more windows or doors) to blend in with the existing bronze aluminum windows, the only options seem to be getting aluminum (and I think Milgard is one of the only choices here) or using Amsco's Heritage series that comes in bronze, which one of the contractors I've gotten estimates from recommends.

But everyone seems to stress the negatives of aluminum--especially the heat transfer of the frame itself--although it seems to me that going from single pane to double pane would be a big improvement in energy efficiency and noise reduction, and the frame is such a tiny part of the overall window that I can't understand why that would make such a huge difference. Everyone seems to recommend vinyl and no one recommends aluminum. But wouldn't I still gain in energy efficiency going to the double panes and new technology of Milgard aluminum vs. 30-year old single pane aluminum?

The other alternative for a more energy-efficient window is the Amsco Heritage series vinyl window, which comes in bronze exterior, white interior. I'm not sure yet if their bronze will match the bronze aluminum, or if the bronze is painted on rather than "baked in." I've emailed Amsco to find out. Does anyone know how these windows stack up and how the finish does or os likely to hold up? Any advice would be most appreciated. Only one area dealer seems to carry both Amsco and Milgard aluminum (Able Glass), although I've also gotten estimates for aluminum (and vinyl, just in case I change my mind) from The Screen Shop and Michaels Construction. Any thoughts on these, too? Thanks.