caulk for windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
netmouse

caulk for windows

#1 Post by netmouse »

Well, I seemed to have answered my own question on caulking. Did internet search. There was some talk here about Novaflex and other caulks being better than 100% silicone. Their own website says Novaflex is silicone. And it seems the "architectural" or polyurethane are not guaranteed as long.

Silicon is best and normally guaranteed for 30 years. Other caulks less than that at 20 years and less on down the line. Found that at an edu website - www.leeric.lsu.edu/energy/caulking

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

Keep in mind that silicone (including Novaflex) is not paintable. If you are caulking around a window and up against paintable surfaces (like siding) then you want a paintable caulking, either latex or solvent based (such as various types of urethane caulking).

netmouse

#3 Post by netmouse »

yes, the installer said they use silicone outside (due to long life and warrenty at 30 years and a good 10 years longer than anything else) and latex inside to be able to paint it.

chrisexv6

#4 Post by chrisexv6 »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a good online source for Novaflex?

I cant find any online, and cant find any dealers around here that will sell to residential. I *can* find OSI Pro Quad (HD has it), but I wasnt sure if holding out for Novaflex was worth the time and effort.

Thanks!
-Chris

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Chris,
Unless your caulking skills are really good, you'd be better off getting Quad as Quad is much easier to apply and tool.
Both caulks are excellent and will last a very long time. Quad is also paintable if the need ever arises in the future.

chrisexv6

#6 Post by chrisexv6 »

Thanks for the info, Quad it is!!

No, my caulking skills arent that great at all. Definitely need to be able to tool the caulk.

My installers were very good at caulking, got a nice concave bead with very little tooling at all. I guess you get better at it if you do it for a living :)

-Chris

chrisexv6

#7 Post by chrisexv6 »

FYI -

Anyone looking for OSI Quad, I found it at my local HD. The best thing is that it was on sale for 4.99/tube AND there is a 3.00 mail in rebate. Rebate isnt exactly clear how much $$$ you can get back (says "one rebate per household", but goes on to say that the maximum value is $9.00, leads me to believe its good for up to 3 tubes). Basically you get at least one tube for only 2.00, with the possibility of getting up to 3 tubes for 2.00 each.

Not bad for one of the better caulks out there!

-Chris

Door&WindowPlus

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

We use Polyurethane sealant because its the best. It's paintable and AAMA rated for 75 years. Wont yellow or crack. Never had a leak using this stuff. It's expensive compared to latex but lasts much longer. We use Neutral Cure silicone if we need clear. Wood stained houses mostly. I know using polyurethane is more expensive but we dont have the call backs during the rainy season. Being AAMA rated is a great selling point too. Lots of companies here in Southern California use the latex and pay dearly down the road with service issues in the rainy season.