Bow window - exterior trim

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
yach

Bow window - exterior trim

#1 Post by yach »

I recently had Schuco windows installed, including a large 5-panel bow window. This window was about 12" shorter than the old window and required a 12" build-up (this was done because the original window size exceed Schuco's maximum by 6" and by bringing it up another 6" this eliminated the necessity to use expensive safety glass. Also we didn't like the original window height of only about 8" off the floor). We were told that the 12" gap in the exterior (brick) would be finished off with some nice "decorative trim." However a very plain recessed panel (the simplest and cheapest option) was installed, and frankly doesn't look very nice. The installer is willing to make good on their promise, but would like to know exactly what we would like to finish this off. I don't know enough about this to tell them. Can anyone suggest what would look best, exactly what it is called, who makes it, where to get it, etc. I consulted a mason about finishing off the gap (1' x 10') with brick, and although it's an easy job, he said he wouldn't be able to match the brick. The house is about 45 years old, brick is three shades of orange sandstone brick, so if anyone knows a source for this type of brick, you could also let me know. Thank you.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I hate to say it but the brick is the golden choice here. Find the color somewhere. Check with some other Mason's and see if they are tearing some off on other jobs. There should be some demolition jobs some where that are close iin color. I'd search high and low to match the brick to tie it all in.

handyman19619

#3 Post by handyman19619 »

Brick would be nice.
Other options could be vinyl siding or vinyl specialty siding that looks like cedar shake or other types of natural wood (nail lite brand for reference)

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You could also build the bottom of the entire window itself down to cover the exposed area. The build down would follow the exact same curve as the window and would meld in with the look of the window.
I had to look quite a while, but I found a photo of a bow I did about 1990 where I did it that way. I posted the photo on the first line, the middle photo on my photo page of my website:
http://www.schuco-windows.com/pages/7/index.htm

What I remember most about that job was that I had a horrible time doing the bottom because of the overgrown prickly evergreen bushes that were shoved right into where the bottom of the window was. It was not only hard to see what I was doing, but I was a bloody mess by the time I got done. I came back the next morning to work on the other windows and the dirty rotten homeowner had cut all the bushes down. I was pretty steamed! Like he couldn't have cut them down before I cut and scratched myself half to death.