Do Foam Filled Jambs and Sashes Make a Difference

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
arlo8

Do Foam Filled Jambs and Sashes Make a Difference

#1 Post by arlo8 »

I'm currently trying to decide between Simonton, Synergy and Kensington windows. The Kensington is the only one of the three with any insulation in the jambs and sashes and I wasn't sure whether this makes any difference. I read the discussion topic on heat mirror, and I'm thinking I'm just going to shy away from it - if there are any questions as to problems with it, I'm figuring "better safe than sorry." So my only reason for getting Kensington would be to get the jamb and sash insulation.

That aside, if you don't think the jamb and sash insulation matters at all, what window would you recommed using? Are Simonton or Synergy good companies? I could not find any printed material on either one, though I know that Simonton is one of the better known names.

Thanks so much.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

The internal foam insulation doesn't help in any significant way. Those that do add it do it to create a marketing advantage. You can basically ignore the fact that some windows do and do not have it. Instead, to compare heat conduction energy efficiency, just ignore foam differences and compare the u-factor of the windows. That will take into account the very tiny difference the foam makes on the window. You'll probably find that comparison doesn't generally make the foam window better, and instead the window with the thicker frame and better glass package will win the energy efficiency war. If the salesperson says different and his windows are still better, ask him why the window doesn't have a lower u-factor than the competition and let us know the response.

If the company tries to charge more than a few dollars per window for foam insulation, I'd just say no. If it just comes with the window and can't be removed as an option, it won't hurt anything.

arlo8

#3 Post by arlo8 »

Thanks. Do you know anything about Synergy windows? I couldn't find any literature on them. I was considering the Synergy 2 or the Simonton 5500 Reflections. Do you have any thoughts on these? Are these good windows? Which windows are a good deal?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

In windows such as fiberglass windows where there may be just one big chamber instead of multiple cavity chambers like in vinyl, then foam filling will do some good for warmth and sound transmission.
In multi-cavity vinyl windows, what Info said is spot on.