Shuco/Sunrise installer in Southern Connecticut

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jdmarano

Shuco/Sunrise installer in Southern Connecticut

#1 Post by jdmarano »

Hi All,

I'm trying to find a fair priced and quality dealer/installer of Shuco or Sunrise vinyl replacement windows in Southern CT. Our house is almost 30yrs old w/ 15 (most 48"x32") double hung windows and a 6' slider.

I submitted a request on Sunrise's website, but never heard from them or any representatives. We had a quote from a local Shuco dealer, but the total "best" price was $20k (down from $32k) to replace/install all the windows and slider with triple pane/krypton filled replacements. (Not to mention 4 hours in the evening an no dinner that night.)

The information on this site has been extremely helpful, but I haven't found much info from anyone in the CT area. Anyway, we have a 5-month old baby and don't want to spend anymore 4hr evenings with dealers/installer that are seemingly asking absurd prices for even the best windows out there.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Jason

netmouse

#2 Post by netmouse »

I just chose Sunrise in my NJ location. Sunrise has a website with a phone number and form to ask questions. If you call ask for Gary Delman, their president if the person answering the phone does not help. Their sales team for New England seems to be this number Toll-Free Phone: 888-718-5005.

They completed their new manufacturing plant this year and I think their ratings are very good, and seem higher then competitors. They are located in Michigan, but now moving east. My decision was based on the installer as well. An established company, a reasonable price (consider that the windows cost about $200 or so from the manufacturer, and most installers have an enormous mark-up), uses own employees and not subcontractors for install, will remove weights in window pockets and insulate pockets with fiberglass, takes care of rot if found and air conditioners in windows, etc. Has a warranty on parts and labor for free as long as you live in the house (window manufacturer warrantees now typically transfer to the buyer if you sell).

I don't think a triple pane window necessarily is better, at least not for the extreme higher cost difference I was hearing. Many lower cost two pane windows have the foam insulation in the sash/frame although everyone seems to agree it does not do that much. The ratings are not that different - and Sunrise has really good R and u factors with their ultra u plus window.

I'm in a similar situation as you are. I am getting 12 double hung windows for about $5500 installed. It is more expensive than the "$189 guy", who is really the "$300+ guy" if you want the windows installed and who would not do the extra stuff mentioned above. It is also quite a bit more than a local manufacturer who also installs, but who does not do the extra stuff mentioned above. But it is less than the $12000 for triple pane. Conn. should not be that different - just find the right installer who has been established for a while. Mine provided facts calmly, knew what he was talking about, no sales pressure, priced from a list and not from some unknown place and a caculator, none of the "if you buy today we'll give you a special discount" baloney. I found that Home Depot home services has a good window (Simonton is manufacturer), but they use sub-contractors and they just seemed to be a couple of thousand above smaller local companies. They have no advantage from what I can see because other smaller companies now offer the same "peace of mind" with a labor free warranty as long as you live in your home.

windowman pa

Wow

#3 Post by windowman pa »

I would truly review why triple is a better option over double pane windows! :oops: Two layer s of low-e glass with 99% Krypton gas fill!
Surise rep did a "GREAT" job of selling double over triple with "SMOKE & MIRRIORS"

windowman pa

Sunrise

#4 Post by windowman pa »

I just pulled up Sunrise's web site and u-factor is .31!
Schuco's u-factor is .2o on NFRC web site :D !

netmouse

#5 Post by netmouse »

windowmanpa -

Gee, you sound like an angry Schuco, or other triple pane manufacturer or installer. I don't think the small difference in u factor is worth the several thousands of dollars more in cost. In my area it is more than twice the cost. Compare $5000 for Sunrise to $12000 for a triple pane. It'll take decades to get that money back in saving of fuel costs.

The Sunrise sales man did not use "smoke and mirrors". Your using that term shows your anger and attempt to discredit a competitor.

Sunrise's ultra plus window does differ from ordinary low-e/argon. Their u-factor is superior to other 2-pane windows I've looked at including Simonton and Gorell. And their installed price is less. Their u-factor, r-factor and air leakage rates are excellent.

windowman pa

No

#6 Post by windowman pa »

Just facts! :D
I will give you a $20.00
if you will give me a $50.00? :D

Hugo vs BMW?

Double vs Triple with double low e & krypton gas (You pick window manf:)

netmouse

#7 Post by netmouse »

Windowman PA -

I don't need to spend all that money on a BMW. I much prefer my Honda. Best mileage, reliability, crash tests and costs so very much less. :D :D :D

$20000 in CT for Schuco is just way way too much.

chrisexv6

#8 Post by chrisexv6 »

What Schuco dealer did you speak to?

Im located in lower New Haven County, so we might have the same dealer....Building Concepts out of Branford?

I too thought their price was a little high, but we had other circumstances:

NO double hungs. 6 sliding windows (3 were 4'x4', 3 were 4'x5'), 9 casements (all about 2.5'x5'), 2 small awnings, and 1 stationary (2.5'x5'), so our windows were pretty big and not stock-size double hungs. Our price was ~14K for the triple pane krypton double low-e windows. As a point of reference, Andersen Renewals were 12K, Certainteed Bryn Mawrs were 9K (but their slider was terrible, so I had them quote out replacing all sliders with double-casements, at that point the price came up to almost 12K). So I was looking at roughly 2K more to get one of (if not the) best sliding window on the market, along with the rest of the windows. The sliders were important because they are in our bedrooms.

Best money I ever spent. BC was OK, but the installer they use was spectacular. Never had a problem with me bringing up even the smallest issue. Always returned my phone calls, etc. The only thing I didnt like (wasnt his fault) was the production time (basically took 8 weeks to get all of our windows to show up).

I even had to use Schuco service (busted handle on one of our casements), they were out 3 days after I called them, and came back 2 days later with the parts to fix it. Great service from both Schuco and the installer. Very nice product, but its your decision if its worth the extra $$$ to you (Schuco didnt list any other dealers in CT, so Im assuming it might be the same as mine).

-Chris

windowman pa

What!

#9 Post by windowman pa »

netmouse- i thought you said $12k for triple? not $20K :D

Bet that Honda was a little more than American made right?

You get what you pay for! :D

BillB

#10 Post by BillB »

Thought I would jump in here as I am also looking for windows in CT. Have been lurking, reading posts, and have learned a lot about replacement windows via this site and others on the internet. I'm looking at replacing 10 openings, 5 sliders and 5 double hungs. Actually 3 of the openings will have a set of double hungs in them.Slider openings measure 46" x 34" for 3 of them and 71" x 48" for the other two. The double hungs measure 70" x 34" for the openings that will have a set of double hungs in them and 34" x 34" for the other two. Sears was first out and quoted me $10,000 and change. RBA was not as high as I thought they might be at approx $7800 and UltraMaxx by Alside quoted me $6200. I had 2 quotes last week for Schuco. FJB Assoc quoted me $17,000 for their InsulSash line, triple pane w/ krypton and Building Concepts quoted $12,600 for the Corona 4000, double pane with krypton. FBJ gave a 2 hour presentation that was sorta demeaning in that he asked pointless, leading questions. Building Concepts was the only one that said sign tonight and I can call the manager and get you another 10% off. He also said they would put a 47% decrease in heating costs in a written guarantee. Building Concepts does seem to have a very good record with the BBB and I also feel it would be a good company to deal with. However, I would prefer to get a price more in keeping with what others seem to be getting quoted on Schuco windows but if there are no other dealers, I'm stuck. Right now, am leaning toward going back to the Alside dealer and seeing if they will upgrade to the Sheffield for the same price. If I can't get any other quotes for higher end windows, like Simonton or the like, that is what I'm thinking. Just thought I would post my experience for others out there in CT. Seems like windows are a little higher priced in our area.

jdmarano

#11 Post by jdmarano »

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris, I'll give Building Concepts a call. The company that gave us the initial estimate was New England Sash out of Worcester, MA I believe.

Thanks.
Jason

riddlewh

#12 Post by riddlewh »

netmouse wrote:I don't think the small difference in u factor is worth the several thousands of dollars more in cost. In my area it is more than twice the cost. Compare $5000 for Sunrise to $12000 for a triple pane.
Just to add a note, I used the energy calculator on the Schuco site and it would take about 20 years to re-coup the cost of what I got in a double-pane, low e, argon window compared to the .2 u-factor for Schuco windows mentioned in this thread.

chrisexv6

#13 Post by chrisexv6 »

JD - Good luck, if you dont mind please post to tell us how it works out :) Im interested in how BC comes off. I didnt get the "sign tonight and Ill knock 10% off" like BillB, but I did get "this is the best its gonna get, you can sign now or next week, price isnt gonna change". Not sure if they were lying (probably were) but I signed anyway (like I said the price was close enough to windows I considered far inferior that I didnt mind spending the extra $$$).

BillB - BC does have a good record with the BBB. However, they "subcontract" their installs. I left it in quotes because the company they use does all of BCs installs, they just arent officially part of BC. Their office is even run out of BCs office. ProSide Restoration and Remodelling are the installers. I must say, they did very good work. When I checked their BBB record there were a couple complaints, but both of them were listed as "product fulfillment issues", and as far as Im concerned, that could be another case of Schuco just taking a long time to get products to them (like I said, my 18 windows took 8 weeks to finally show up).

Good luck.

-Chris

netmouse

#14 Post by netmouse »

windowman pa

You are not paying attention. Read before you mock. Tthe original poster is being asked for $20k for the schuco windows. Down from $32k. What kind of games are going on there. (My triple pane was $12k for another brand).

Given your attitude and demeanor, I would not have you as my installer.

jdmarano

#15 Post by jdmarano »

Quick Update:

NES sent the sales manager to provide "additional discounts" that the original salesman could not. Now for our 14 DH windows and one 6' patio door they are at $15.8k.

BC came in at $16.4k for the same setup. We also asked them about the Shuco double pane window, which would be about $250 per window less. I haven't researched it's quality on this forum yet, but the savings would allow my wife to get a picture or bow window that she really wants. They did also offer to install their leafless gutter system at about cost ($670), since they would already be onsite. We just saw an ad last night for it and decided to ask about it; no idea if it is a good price or product.

Chris, BC did mention that the person (subcontractor) that does the install is a relative (cousin I think) of the owner of BC, which probably explains the close proximity, etc. There was also no hard sell at all and the we received the same "this is our best price".

We have FJB coming tomorrow and will be making our decision over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone.
-JD