Replacement Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sep23

Replacement Windows

#1 Post by sep23 »

I need to replace my nearly 18 yr old aluminum windows. Home Depot sales rep quoted me for Simonton windows 6100 and 6500 series. I've never heard of them. Reading forums it seems they are on par with Alside, which was quoted to me by Empire Today. Looking at the windows samples it seemed Simonton windows seemed better. Received a quote from Pella but they are just too expensive. Can I get any thoughts/recommendations/warnings about Simonton and/or Alside?
Last edited by sep23 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Alside makes various lines of windows form low end (Centurion, Geneva, etc.) to the high end Preservation and various midrange lines. The best value might be the Sheffield upper-midrange line. The low end stuff is something to avoid. The lower-midrange lines line (Exalibur) are inexpensive but have mixed reviews and are a bit flimsy in larger sizes. That said, I slightly prefer the Simonton 5500 or 9800 to the Sheffield. The 9800 looks better and has added weatherstripping, but the 5500 is still a very good window. You'll probably find that a local Simonton installer will be less expensive than Home Depot (by $75-200/window possibly), for a window of a similar quality to the Home Depot Simonton lines they are calling the 6100/6500.

If you search these message boards, and you'll find lots of information on both brands.

BMC

#3 Post by BMC »

When you suggest going the route of finding a local Simonton installer (e.g.) to install for less as opposed to HD, do you mean one of the many smaller window contractors who happen to resell Simonton? Or do you mean going through Simonton directly to find an installer?

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

Simonton has a list of dealers on their web site, but you can also check the yellow pages and see if any advertise installing Simonton windows, or call a few and ask.

Try: http://www.simonton.com/Homeowner/Locat ... asp?type=h

Some results from the above search will only sell the windows, and will recommend or subcontract an installer, but others might have in-house installation crews.

BMC

Simonton Installers

#5 Post by BMC »

Thanks, InfoSponge. That is helpful, though my husband has left me with the task of selecting the window replacements/installers, and I don't feel anything but ripped off yet. I was on the fence tonight about the HD Simonton 6500 quote vs. some other small-time local contractors. After the HD rep. (who I like his style, personality, etc.) called later this evening to tell me about a 10% off sale if I sign the contract in 3 days that hasn't happened in 3 years, I started really smelling fish. Although I believe the windows are good and suitable for our needs, I no longer feel I am getting a good value no matter how many "sales" are offered.

Long story short, my specific question is about going to a local lumber yard or window/siding warehouse/outlet (e.g. not HD or Lowe's) and purchase the windows directly, then ask for their suggestions of installers. Do you know if these places exist that will sell directly to homeowners who don't have contractors licenses?

I would not have thought of this on my own, and would like to explore this since our budget is so limited. The big draw with HD is the interest-free financing, but I'm not sure it's worth it to spend thousands more than I have to if I can go get a low interest bank loan that will make the project only hundreds more than paying outright with cash.

Where can one go for reputable referrals for (just) installers for windows I purchase on my own? I live in the Denver, CO area. Even the one-man company types I've had to quote me windows in my home say this is not feasible for them, as I'm sure they make much of the profit from the windows.

Are there caveats with doing window replacements this way, other than the fact that hiring an indep. installer might not offer labor warranties, etc.? What extra fees might I incur going this route that otherwise would be covered in a normal window sales company? Thanks in advance for your help!

sep23

#6 Post by sep23 »

BMC, you've articulated my thoughts on my situation exactly. I'm going the same route. HD 6100 or 6500 window quote was way too much. Actually it was on par with Pellas Impervia line. I was surprised. I'd rather spend the $$ on parts with fair labor.

netmouse

#7 Post by netmouse »

Word of mouth can be the best reference to find a good installer. I actually emailed the town's board of aldermen (councilmen) and mayor and other local groups to see if they could recommend a good window installer. Also check out the people at the local hardware store for references, the way I found a good local contractor to remodel my bathroom. Ask those on the PTA. All homeowners in your area. Someone also said to ask up at the local (non-big box store) home supplies store that sells windows as to who the contractors in the area are for windows. Beware the installer games - "buy today and get this discount". I also had Home Depot call me (in NJ) with a discount a week or so after visiting me.

The windows you mention are all good. The key will be the installer. Check the manufacturers' websites and learn about their warranties and u and r ratings, and look at them for a list of installers in your area.

sep23

#8 Post by sep23 »

These are good ideas for get installers.
I just received a call back from my HD telling me about the discount too.