leaking vinyl window installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kayfleuret

leaking vinyl window installation

#1 Post by kayfleuret »

We had new vinyl windows installed a little less than 2 yrs ago by a reputable company in So.Cal. We have just discovered that one of the windows(behind the big tv, where we don't go) has been leaking(the sill is rotted, carpet tack strips disintegrated, huge flowery orange mold blooming on the bookcases. Is the company responsible for all the "incidental" damage? We think it is going to be major. When I called the company this morning, they said they would come out and fix the leak!!!Is that sufficient? What is the industry standard? Thanks, Kay

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Unfortunately, I'd say your lawsuit is a very long shot. Hence my promotions of getting it done right the first time. Your product didn't necessarily fail, and I'm thinking you got a 1 year warranty on install. Think carefully before calling in your insurance agent because if the substance is found to be hazardous, they have to report it to the EPA or housing authority who can condemn the property and it may not be covered. I hate to play the Devil's Advocate here, but I'm just telling you what has happened many times.

Still... get rid of the problem if you think it's dangerous... at any cost. You need to understand that there is virtually NO regulation for building envelope installations, compared to what is available... sadly.

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

In southern California, KB homes passed a lawsuit down to a window manufacturer. The claim was a leaking window that damaged the home. The warranty expressly claimed that it was not liable for incidental damaged, only the replacement of the damaged window. The window company lost and is appealing I believe. I know many of the west coast window manufactures still put it in the warranty that they are not liable, but the courts here are saying otherwise. You have to prove it was a defective product or install from the start. Good luck and keep us posted.
Last edited by earwax on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Door&WindowPlus

#4 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Did the company wrap the window sill or cut it off? If they did this they could have caused the problem. There are lots of companies that claim that coil wrapping with aluminum or vinyl will last a lifetime but from the installations I have seen with this it usually makes the wood decay faster and termites love this. I saw a coil wrapped window that was leaking and the coil wrap funneled the water into the sill. NEVER coil wrap unless you have primed the wood with sealant. It will rot sooner than later. It's funny what homeowners believe when the salesman is in the house. Homeowners think wow I will never have to paint the trim. Not knowing that the coil wrap will make the windows rot and cost alot more than a coat of paint. Get it in writing guys how long the warranty on the coil wrap is for. Saleman are trying to make a commision...

What kind of installation warranty did you get? I would complain to the BBB and California Contractors Board if they dont fix the whole thing.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Where do you get this stuff??? If the wrapping is leaking, it is not installed and/or flashed correctly, period.
There is absolutely no problem with wrapping casings and sills if proper procedures are followed.
Misleading the public with false generalizations is not doing them a service.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

In California most of the companies doing the capping dont know what their doing. They dont install the capping right so there are leaking problems and they cap wood that is already decaying with termites and dry rot. All I am saying is that in sunny California companies shouldnt be doing this unless they warranty the install of the capping for life.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Like I said in the other thread, I can understand your concern. Don't dump the baby with the bathwater though. Not everyone is incompetent at capping windows.
I do agree that many homes have rotting windows jambs and sills as we speak because of poor capping methods, and installers thinking caulking alone, and not proper flashing will seal the windows for life.

For example, how many jobs have we all seen where the capping is brought out over the z flashing above the head casing of a window and then caulked to the siding ...instead of utilizing the existing head flashing by tucking the coil in underneath it? That's just one example of improper installation that can lead to rotting. All it takes is a pinhole in the caulking to start the rotting when done this way. If a window is up underneath a large overhang, no big deal, but on a window out in the open, it is a rotting disaster waiting to happen.
As in anything to do with window installation, it has to be done correctly to get long lasting airtight and watertight windows. Proper installation is key!!........even more than having a slick salesman.