Impact-Resistant Window questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nachomama

Impact-Resistant Window questions

#1 Post by nachomama »

I live on the coast of Florida and am having a hard time deciding between roll-up shutters and impact-resistant windows. I live in a two story frame townhouse. I currently have single pane aluminum windows and sliding glass doors that need to be replaced anyway.

I've received several quotes: $14,000 for shutters, $14000 for impact resistant windows, and $6000 for standard vinyl windows. From the price standpoint it is clear that impact windows is the way to go. But I also want something that is going to last.

I'm also curious about repair costs. The sales people have been dancing around this issue. Say you have a 71x35 impact window that breaks. What is the approx. cost to repair that? Can you just replace the glass or do you have to replace the entire window?

Also, as far as I can tell, there are no Miami-Dade approved vinyl sliding windows on the market. How much importance do you put on getting a window that has this approval? Will other windows hold up just as well?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject of impact windows.

Thanks!