Silver Line 8500 VS Alside Excalibur

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lewid

#1 Post by lewid »

Hi,
I was given quotes by two different companies to install replacement windows in our house, both quotes for about the same dollar amount. Once company will install Silver Line DH 8500 series windows with Low E2/Argon with no accidental glass breakage warranty. Another company offers for the same price Alside Excalibur with Low E2/Argon with additional features of steel reinforcement, foam insulated jambs and hurricane rating of 172 MPH. He also shut an envelope in the window between the two seals and was able to pick the window up by the envelope.
Are there really big differences between these two windows or am I being subjected to sales smoke?

Thanks,
David.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

In that range... they can't afford sales smoke. Both are lower-end products. It won't make a difference either way you go... OH, and he lied about his hurricane rating, but I would consider buying his envelopes.

riddlewh

Re: Silver Line 8500 VS Alside Excalibur

#3 Post by riddlewh »

lewid wrote:He also shut an envelope in the window between the two seals and was able to pick the window up by the envelope.
Heh, talk about a smoke and mirrors gimmick. I wouldn't buy from him just based on that technique.

lewid

#4 Post by lewid »

Hey vinyl window experts - can you please cut out the window snobbery and in-jokes and help provide me with information? Are these windows I am talking about crap or just less expensive options that live up to their claims? Not everyone has 400 bucks per window to spend, and I figured that if the company can provide lifetime warranty on everything including accidental glass breakage they couldnt be that bad.
Thanks, David.

riddlewh

Re: Silver Line 8500 VS Alside Excalibur

#5 Post by riddlewh »

lewid wrote:Hey vinyl window experts - can you please cut out the window snobbery and in-jokes and help provide me with information?
I'm not a window expert, just a consumer that used this site for research. My comment was based on sales techniques I know sales people use (and a little physics knowledge), and the whole picking up the window with an envelope smells of a cheap con.

Now that saleperson down the block from me carries both of these windows. He wasn't too big on the Silverline and liked the Alside. That is the best information I can tell you besides looking at cost, u-factors, etc.

lewid

#6 Post by lewid »

thanks, that helps!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My opinion is that they are both junk. But then again, I don't install low end windows. (I'd get sick to my stomach and not be able to sleep at night from the guilt)
About 40% of the market buys these cheap type windows. It's great job security......I'm replacing more and more of these type builders grade vinyl windows each year.

My advice would be to upgrade at least a little. A midgrade window of quality design can be had for just a little more.