Quick help with two quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rushfz1

Quick help with two quotes

#1 Post by rushfz1 »

I am replacing 12 windows in a house I just bought in North Wilmington, DE. I had two large local companies give me a quote on vinyl double hung. After listening to both, I am more confused than ever. Both thought the others technology was old. One liked his metal spacers. One liked his spacers that was a strange word starting with a "b". Me? I don't have a clue.

One quoted me $5600 (with special discounts just for me) for the Seaway Encore. The other quoted me $6400 for the Southwall Technologies Protector with Heat Mirror. Both seemed like good guys and the references provided spoke well of the installation experiences with both.

Any advice on these two windows? Comparable? Should I just go on price?

Thanks in advance.

rushfz1

#2 Post by rushfz1 »

Follow-up: I guess the Southwall is just the mfr. of the heat mirror. The window is the Homecraft Protector. I have no idea who actually makes the window they use.

Any help in this confusing process would be appreciated.

windowman pa

Run!

#3 Post by windowman pa »

Anytime a salesman says just for you RUN! :D

For $b 466.00 or $533.00 per windows you can get a much better window with a better u-value than you two quotes!

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know both of those companies well and they both have good reputations in the Wilmington area. In fact, the one company was installing a roof yesterday across the street from my guys who where finishing up on a window project. The company with the heat mirror has that window made with a private label from Slocomb Ind. They are a local company with a reputation for low to mid grade products at best. One of my installers had installed them for years back about 5 years ago and doesn't care for them. I believe they still are using a swiggle spacer which is why the salesman doesn't like any type of "metal" spacers and why lead you to believe that he has a superior product.

The company with the Seaway window is showing you their drop window. They have a good, better, best kind of option. They do Andersen in certain circumstances. They added the OKNA "Starmate or Starmark"as their premier vinyl product. I had just seen their display a the loacl home show. The Encore should have the intecept spacer by PPG, however if they would have quoted you on the OKNA window window you would have had a "Duraseal" spacer, not sure if that is what it's called exactly, but it is similar to the appearance to a swiggle spacer. This window could be upwards of $650 or more per opening based upon what I've heard from customers that have been quoted with it.

I agree with Windowman PA. You can do better. In turn, you can also do worse. If you do decide to go with the company that does the Seaway window you might be best served if you request that you get their most experienced crew to do your installation. This company has recently grown much larger in the last 2 years and has keeps acquiring more and more crews for their installations. I know a little more about this situation than I'm willling to disclose, but make sure that you get it in writting that your installation will be correct and all capping and caulking will be neat. I'm not saying that I've seen bad work by them, its just here in my area all of the big window dealers are in a war to keep good installers. My guys get offers every day. When there is not enough qualified mechanics around you can imagine what moves in.

It looks like you are off to a good start.

Good Luck.

rushfz1

#5 Post by rushfz1 »

Thanks for letting me know I can do better. Its just a difficult process. It reminds me of buying a mattress in which there seems to be no way to compare apples to apples from different stores. Everyones stuff is different and "better."

I clicked on the get-a-quote feature on this website. Based on my address in N. Wilmington, they referred me to Appleby Systems, Inc. They should be contacting me in a day or two so we'll see.

Any other recommendations on who I would be well-served talking to for my 12 windows?

jleeherman

Starmark Windows by Okna

#6 Post by jleeherman »

Hello,

How did you make out with your windows? We are considering Starmark Windows installed by Advancing Home Solutions of Bucks County PA. Pricey!!!