Milgard Classic vs. CDI Royal Line

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
panacea

Milgard Classic vs. CDI Royal Line

#1 Post by panacea »

I've gotten two quotes so far on replacement windows at my Seattle condo. I'm replacing a flower window, two sliding windows, and two fixed windows. The two quotes, from two different installers, are:

Milgard Classic, 3/16" over 1/8" - $5900
CDI Royal Line, Double-pane Laminate - $5000 (Or 3/16" over 1/8" for $4500)

Is anyone familiar with CDI Royal Line windows enough to say if they're comparable or better than the Milgards? There's very little information about CDI windows on the Internet and I'm worried they're a cheaper brand.

Thanks everyone!
Jon

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

CDI is Comfort Design Inc. They have a plant in washington and a distribution facility in California. A small manufacturer. I have yet to see one of their windows installed in a house, but they must be selling to someone to put a distribution facility in CA.

Door&WindowPlus

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

We carry their windows. They are very comparable to Milgard Classic. Pricing is really good. They have trucks delivering windows each week in Southern California. They are trying to get into Southern California Market so they have really dropped their factor. They have 4 different lines. Comfort, Architect, Finish and Royal. Lowest to highest in quality but I sell their Comfort Series for less then Styleline Milgards. They come standard with Argon and have a glass breakage warranty. The Finish Line is nice because it comes with the vinyl interior capping that just snaps into the window. They also have the only doggie door I've seen built into a patio slider.

The company is family owned and they will try to make any size/shape that you want.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

You say the have Argon, but they are made in Washington. IF they are in Washington, do they have cap tubes? IF they have cap tubes, why are they putting Argon in them? After they go over the pass and back down to the valley the Argon is not the correct mix and will not perform like the ratings suggest. If they do not put the tube in, then the window will balloon out and the reflections from the glass will look like a fun house mirror? Hmmmmmmm.

I do not believe Cardinal will even sell argon in a window that is going over the mountians to california anymore.

panacea

I'm in Seattle

#5 Post by panacea »

While it's interesting to hear about the California distribution center, I'm actually living in Seattle so the Washington fabrication site can happily put argon between my window panes and not worry about going over mountains with them.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm surprised that the CDI Royal Line is there high end of windows. That's good to hear -- I figured they were probably a low-end model.