Simonton 5500 versus Alside UltraMax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mapatton

Simonton 5500 versus Alside UltraMax

#1 Post by mapatton »

Just got a quote on another Alside based quote (this co also deals with Simonton). This co noted that the Sheffield is the UltraMax window with the additional laminate surrounds on the inside. Is this correct?

Now how does the Alside UltraMax compare against the Simonton 5500?

The Alside Ultramax quote was a little higher than the Simonton.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

The two Alside frames/sashes are basically the same so the main difference is in the sill. The UltraMaxx has a pocket sill and the Sheffield a sloped sill. For better air infiltration performance, get the Sheffield. There is no advantage to the UltraMaxx unless it is much cheaper, which it shouldn't be.

I like the Simonton 5500 window a little better. You get a little more glass space with it and I like the looks slightly better, though it is a roughly comparable window to the Sheffield energy-wise. Once you add the reinforced meeting rail, it is also as strong (DP rating) as the Sheffield.

If the prices are comparable, get the 5500. If the 5500 reinforced is a lot more from your installer, the Sheffield is a reasonable choice. Either one can be ordered with the more advanced SuperSpacer between the glass, if you want that. Good luck!

mapatton

#3 Post by mapatton »

Many thanks.
Currently the Ultramax quote is $675 higher than the 5500 quote. The Ultramax dealer wasn;t even aware of the Sheffield ( some minus points there ).

I am awaiting 2 more bids (since I posted this Sears has been out and submitted a quote based upon their Simonton 7000 series - looks much more like a 5500 than a 9500). They were as expected quite high.

One willl be quoting Simonton, the other Schuco.

If I had to choose right now, I would have my 1st Simonton quote include the Super Spacer and reinforcement at say $750 under quote.

I have a little leverage as I am having my 3 slider doors quote separately. They are big and are quoting out at roughly $5K. I could toss this cookie to the one willing to negotiate.