Water infiltration....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chrisexv6

Water infiltration....

#1 Post by chrisexv6 »

Just noticed that we seem to be getting some water in the area of 2 of our replacement windows. They are both casements, and when I opened them and pulled out the screens, I noticed some water had pooled on the sash where the pane actually seals to.

Does this mean water is getting into the sash area? Is this normal? Will be calling my installer tomorrow, but just wondering if there should be water there or not. The caulk the installer did looks intact, however we had vinyl siding installed 3 years ago and that caulk seems to be separating from between the trim and the siding itself. Not sure if thats letting the water in, but I might re-caulk that myself after the installer has a look at the windows.

The windows are Schuco Corona 4000s, we had them installed in April/May, and this is the 2nd time we had water. The 1st time I wasnt 100% sure it was the window, I re-caulked it a little myself, and we never got water again. Now the 2nd window (same room, "around the corner" from the first window that leaked) seems to be doing the same thing. Only during a driving rain (we're talking really high winds along with downpours) do we get any water. We've had huge downpours before but gotten no water because there was no wind. Im wondering if maybe the sash is almost getting pulled open (?) and letting a little water in.

Also, there are no obvious signs of a stream of water (i.e. no water marks on the interior side of the drywall, no streams of water on the outside of the window, etc.). And we noticed the water itself after the floor became wet.

Thanks!
-Chris