Question about rot/mold during caused by installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
michelle001

Question about rot/mold during caused by installation

#1 Post by michelle001 »

I am really concerned that the windows being installed will eventually have rot or mold.
Here is the story.
We are replacing our wood windows with vinyl windows with exterior aluminum clad. Several of our wood windows were not installed correctly and have severe rot. The contractors came out today and partially installed the new vinyl windows. They took out the wood window, put in a new vinyl window but did NOT finish adding the outside aluminum clad. It is going to rain for the next two days. When they come to install them on the third day (Monday), I am worried the exposed wood will still be wet. One of the contractors said the worst case scenario is that they will replace the insulation. I just don't feel comfortable with his answer.
Should I be concerned that we will have rot or mold?

I want to add that we are replacing windows because of rot.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Michelle

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Michelle

No, you don't need to worry about the rain. Aluminum capping properly installed is not airtite or sealed at all edges. The moisture will dissipate just fine and the wood will not be affected by the rain in such a short period of time. As you made the statement about the contractor possibly having to replace the insulation, this would be a greater concern of mine as it sounds like they stuffed shreds of fiberglass in around the windows, instead of using foam that would not be affected by moisture. If this is the case, you should be aware that fiberglass does not provide an airseal and when compressed into a space it loses all/most of it's insulating ability. Unfortunately, the use of foam is considered a best practice, and is not required unless stated specifically on your contract.

Hope this helps.

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

Fiberglass does not provide an air-seal and does not have to if the window is installed properly.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

researcher wrote:Fiberglass does not provide an air-seal and does not have to if the window is installed properly.
So... if it doesn't air seal OR insulate in this type of application... it serves no purpose other than to make homeowners think they are getting a good install because they see an insulation product being used. Another helpful post researcher... thanks again. Properly air sealing and insulating around a window should be included in a proper install.

Researcher.. once again it's apparent that you prefer to post right after one of mine. I'm flattered, but you really should choose another dancing partner as we are not even close to being a match.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

Where did i say that fiberglass does not insulate?

All i said was that fiberglass does not perform need to perform as an air-seal when the window is installed properly. When the window is installed properly, fiberglass does insulate.

InfoSponge

#6 Post by InfoSponge »

When caulk seals fail (which they all eventually will), foam can act as an effective secondary air and water barrier, in addition to insulating the gap. I can't see any reason not to use an appropriate foam compared to fiberglass. I'd also prefer a closed cell foam wrap to just using fiberglass, because, if the window is sized right, it will also provide a decent air and water barrier, unlike fiberglass. This isn't to say windows installed with fiberglass insulation are the end of the world - it seems to be the most common method used around here and works out fine most of the time. But unless you are in the habit of inspecting your caulk seals before each rainstorm, why not have a secondary barrier in place to protect your home? The foam cost is minimal compared to the protection it provides, in my opinion.

The resistance I've seen to foam around windows is from people who were told in training classes not to use spray foams to seal windows, but the foams those trainers are warning about are the old rigid-curing expanding foams, not the newer low expansion foams that should not negatively affect the operation of the window.

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

[quote]This isn't to say windows installed with fiberglass insulation are the end of the world - it seems to be the most common method used around here and works out fine most of the time. But unless you are in the habit of inspecting your caulk seals before each rainstorm, why not have a secondary barrier in place to protect your home? The foam cost is minimal compared to the protection it provides, in my opinion.[/quote]

I fully agree. But I have a few questions. Lets say you found the window you what and you know the installer is very good but uses fiberglass; would insist on foam if he has no experience using it?

Also I was wondering if there is more work involved in replacing a window that has been foamed? Did you ever replace a house full of windows that have been foamed?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

We use minimal expanding foam regularly, with great success. When setting windows into brick openings, it is a must to prevent drafts around the windows.

We have also had to remove windows that we had installed. Not such a big deal to cut the foam away and remove the window.