Sunrise vs. Schuco

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
asp

Sunrise vs. Schuco

#1 Post by asp »

I have been getting quotes from various companies and have narrowed it down to Schuco or Sunrise restoration series. All are casements with triple glazed glass. Both seem very good to me. My only concern is the amount of vinyl in the sashes. The sunrise touts the slimline design to provide more glass. I know it says it will provide 27% more glass than everyone elses, but what does the forum think?

Is the sunrise casements much slimmer than the schuco's? And as far as construction, which is a more solid desin?

Any opinions will be very helpful.

P.S. I have not seen any of the windows in person yet. I have only compared them from the sales brochures.

windowman pa

Help is on the way!

#2 Post by windowman pa »

Schuco designed from the ground up triple glass units so you will see a thicker more structred sash & frame :D

Sunrise has a good double pane unit, but keep in mind 33% more weight hanging in the BREEZE! :D (third pane of glass)

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

I'd check out the windows in person or call in and and get measurements of the frame/sash sizes. Since you're dealing with casements, this isn't a great comparison, but have a look anyway:
viewtopic.php?t=847&highlight=width

Also note that it is fairly common for the frame/sash widths to differ depending on whether you measure the top, bottom, sides, center rail, etc. In my experience, for small windows, the frame width matters, but for larger ones, it is not that critical to maintain a nice open view.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Tom,
I sell both as well. I do have many customers who like their unique options and choose them over Schuco, though I do have more Schuco sales per year.

ASP,
Sunrise really does not have significantly more glass than Schuco on their casements, if any.
Any major difference is on the double hungs and is mainly in the sill and meeting rail dimensions. The larger the window, the less you notice the difference.
Schuco has a better glass spacer and a less expensive triple glaze option.....Sunrise has better designed casement hardware and options such as blinds between the glass and two tone colors available. Each has their strengths. Enjoy whichever choice you make. They are both quality products.
Since you have not seen them yet, here are some Sunrise casement windows within a bow I just installed. They are golden oak woodgrain interior and sandstone exterior with brass pencil grids in a prairie style grid pattern. The customer chose to have the #2 and #4 sashes open.