THERMAL INDUSTRIES?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RACER X

THERMAL INDUSTRIES?

#1 Post by RACER X »

Hello everyone... first timer here.

I need 28 windows- don't want to do it but I have 8 seals busted, some wood frames (north- north west face) that are falling apart and a couple of rotting sills. My home is 2850 sq. ft with all vaulted ceilings so needless to say its hard to heat and cool the place. Figure I might replace most of my 37 windows to take advantage of being more comfortable in some of the insane weather we get in CHICAGO. Oh, and funny thing is -my POS wood windows are only 16 yrs old. grrr. I'm facing north and south, I want vinyl... So far I looked at Wellington, HD's vinyl (not anderson), Reynolds 5000 and Thermal Industries Euro. I'd like to live in this house for the next 30 yrs- because I can tell the future, so I'm looking for a solid window that will last.

I'm leaning towards THERMAL INDUSTRIES Euroweld vinyl. The window seems good. The contractor seems to be on the up'n up and the price is decent.

Whew... ok, now... my question is, do Thermal Indusries make a good window? Where would it rate maybe on a scale 1 to 10? Should I be looking at Milgard or others? Feel free to be as detailed as possible as I do occasionally like to read. Thanks a ton! :?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

A solid 4.

Edit: I forgot that they make a window for certain exclusive dealers called the Park Avenue. That window has several nice features and very good U-value numbers on their triple with superspacer. It would be considered a premium grade vinyl window.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

3.87... unless presented by Beyonce Knowles or Eva Longoria... and then they would be a 4.12. However, if presented with a Rick Grosso technique, they would drop to a 0.85.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Thermal Industries has been on shaky ground. A window is only as good as its company and the people in the company. I do not have faith that they will be around for 20-30 years. Are they still in chapter 11?

RACER X

#5 Post by RACER X »

Window4U (IL) wrote:A solid 4.
That 4 sounds like a failing grade... but remember that I won't automatically know why the low number without reason. It's OK- if you don't like the window please let me know why.

RACER X

Re: reply

#6 Post by RACER X »

FenEx wrote:3.87... unless presented by Beyonce Knowles or Eva Longoria... and then they would be a 4.12. However, if presented with a Rick Grosso technique, they would drop to a 0.85.
Are these actual people that work at Thermal Industries? either that or they sound like designer purses or some other fashion company glitzy installers.

Oddly enough and in a funny way, this sarcasim does help a little. I guess

RACER X

#7 Post by RACER X »

JScott wrote:Thermal Industries has been on shaky ground. A window is only as good as its company and the people in the company. I do not have faith that they will be around for 20-30 years. Are they still in chapter 11?
...ah, a window is only as good as its company. Yes, I agree 100%. Coincidentally, I walked into a window showroom (since I first posted) and the installer/owner said that he is not pushing the Thermal Industries anymore because of the lack of manufacturer service... and he has them on the showroom floor next to 3 other manufacturers. He was not a good salesman so I got the feeling he wasn't BS'n me. Chapter 11- wow, I guess there is my answer.

Thank you for you reply. Every little bit helps! .......Anyone else?

RACER X

#8 Post by RACER X »

Just to be clear... the consensus is that Thermal Industries is a decent window but the customer service is sub par?

glassHouse

#9 Post by glassHouse »

I have had a good experience with Thermal Industries.

RACER X

WHAT THE...

#10 Post by RACER X »

glasshouse....

What happened to your write-up?... I was just in the middle of a reply and apparently the whole paragraph got smoked?!?

:shock:

glassHouse

#11 Post by glassHouse »

Not sure.

Quite strange.

Anyway I am glad you saw it before it evaporated.

Key point I hope was clear. Use the board to collect information but ultimately you have to see the windows installed by your bidder AND make your choice based on your priorities which might not be the same as some of the responders.

Also, as near as I can tell, Thermal Industries is under the Atrium brand and I can't find any Chapter 11 info on either company so I don't have any basis to support JSCOTT'S "comment" (try google and others for yourself). Wish people that take swipes like that felt the responsibility to back up their words with facts.

If they are in Chapter 11 I would certainly want to know so anybody out there want to back up JSCOTT's question with facts for do we dismiss it as heresay?

RACER X

#12 Post by RACER X »

Your right... and I should know better. Thanks for your reply.

I did do more research last week and could not find anything on chapter 11 so I called Thermal Industries and they referred me to their Chicago office. I asked them if there was anything to this chapter 11 or anything that closely resembles the company on a slight to severe downswing and the salesman on the phone said no. The only thing that he can think of is that there are other companies that use "thermal" in their name which could cause confusion.

oh... and the comment I wrote above- "the installer/owner said that he is not pushing the Thermal Industries anymore because of the lack of manufacturer service..." -it turns out that he wasn't a great installer so I can't confirm weather or not their service is bad or good. So far they have been right on target with me and nobody else will say otherwise.

I guess if I have to on my guard because there are sales people in here in disguise, then perhaps I'll just do more reading and physical footwork instead of yappin here.

earwax

#13 Post by earwax »

Thermal Industries in not in Chapter 11. They do however make their windows in prisons in Arizona. Cheap labor man. Gotta love that one. Atrium does own them and they are not in any financial trouble that I know of. Still paying their bills.

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

Nothing says "Quality", quite like prison labor assembly.

glassHouse

#15 Post by glassHouse »

Sources please.

I am not accusing anyone of trash talking other windows (though it is easy to see how that can happen) but carrying on dialogue without providing sources for the information is slanderous and does not elevate our opinion of those doing the talking.