Difference between Simonton ProBuilder and 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lmiller

Difference between Simonton ProBuilder and 5500

#1 Post by lmiller »

I've starting to receive some quotes. Technically, what are the major differences between the ProBuilder and 5500. I have a small stucco/block house that I'm remodeling and am not sure if I should spend the extra for the 5500 due to the worth of my house.

If I do decide to go with the ProBuilder are there any options that I should definitely get. Right now I'm looking at double strength, low E Argon filled gas. The double strength adds $20 per window. I'm assuming that it is worth it.

Thanks for all the help.

Luke Miller

randy

#2 Post by randy »

Not familiar with the ProBuilder, maybe you mean the ProFinish.

If so, the ProFinish is Simonton's new construction single hung window. It is quite flimsy and not worthy of use in a remodel application, IMO, unless it is for a rent house, or a house that you are planning to resell in a short period of time.

The 5500 series is a much better window, and well suited for replacement applications. For an additonal $30.00 a window, the 5500 can be upgraded to the Super Spacer IG unit with sash reinforcement.

lmiller

#3 Post by lmiller »

Thanks Randy for your observations. Yes I did mean ProFinish. My house used to be a rental and I see myself staying here 5 years or less. I want to make sure I don't go overboard and put in more window that what I need. But I also want to make sure that I get good enough.

If the ProFinish is "quite flimsey", is it really worth the extra over what a window would cost at THD or Lowes? I'm assuming that the installation portion would be the same whether I went with the 5500 or ProFinish. If so, about how much extra should the 5500 be per window?

TIA

Luke

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The windows from Home Depot or Lowe's would be about as good as the ProFinish.

I don't offer the ProFinish, so I don't know what the pricing is like. The installation would be the same for the ProFinish and the 5500, assuming the nail fin is not being used.

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

There are actually four different windows in the ProFinish line.

The ProFinish Builder that is the low end with a nail fin and a single hung window, slider and picture window only.

The Profinish Contractor that is a bit better with a J channel flange and the availability of both a single and double hung and a complete casement line

The ProFinish Master is the same as the Contractor but all the windows are DP-50

The ProFinish Brickmould is basically the same quality as the PF contractor with a wider profile on the exterior to make the appearance of a brickmould. Simonton is still in the process of rolling off the product line at this time they have single hung, sliders, picture windows and a few geometric shapes available.

Bill

lmiller

#6 Post by lmiller »

Thanks for all the good information. It was really helpful. How does the Contractor and Master compare with the low lines from THD and Lowes?