Question about caulking...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
prettypixels

Question about caulking...

#1 Post by prettypixels »

I wish I had found this website five months ago!!!!! I wish, I wish, I wish. I just had all new Andersen fibrex windows installed yesterday and can I say that working with this company has been the WORST experience of my entire life and is not something I'd wish upon my worst enemy.

Anyways, the last thing they did was the final caulking step, and now my house reeks of this horrible chemical smell from the caulk. It's been about 16 hours and the caulk is still tacky to the touch and still offgassing this awful fumes; I have all those new windows open and the house still stinks. Does anyone know realistically how long it will take for these fumes to go away???? Does anyone know if it's actually SAFE to be breathing these fumes for so long? Given that I'm 8 months pregnant, it would've been nice for them to at least warn us about these fumes, but given my experience with Andersen, that is definitely expecting far too much.

I wish I'd gotten good vinyl windows from someone else and I'm kicking myself here. Anyone have any thoughts? And thanks!

Window-Guy

#2 Post by Window-Guy »

Call the people who did the caulking and find out exactly what type of caulked they used.

Request they send someone over with a can of the caulk so you can read the label and any warnings on it yourself.

When you have that, call the company that makes the caulk and explain your situation, most specifically that your pregnant, and ask them to explain any safety concerns.

In the meantime do everything you can to air out the house, get some fans going if you have to.

Good luck and sorry to hear that the purchase of your brand new windows has been such a negative experience.