Simonton Reflection series comparison

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mapatton

Simonton Reflection series comparison

#1 Post by mapatton »

OK, I have a couple quotes using the Simonton Reflections 5500. I just had another install co come out (the local Simonton wholesale distributor offered me their name) and he was quoting the 6500, which as I understand is a Home Depot item. In researching the forum, I see most opinions are more about the instal HD does than the window.

Can I consider the 6500 as being the same as the 5500 (if all options are the same), and the installer is the same. IE> I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples on the window itself.

I ask as though I haven;t received the quote yet, I believe the co using the 6500 is going to be lowere than my lowest 5500 quote, and with my research and in talking to the cos, the install quality would be equal.

RamMan

#2 Post by RamMan »

If you dont mind ,what were your quotes for 5500. I am trying to get quotes on them in Kansas City area. How much per window and what kind of install. Wood siding, brick ECT. Thanks

mapatton

#3 Post by mapatton »

Really none of my windows are std so a price per window might not help you. The are all a little large and are mounted a little lower than most, so there is a little more tempered glass in them.

The lowest 5500 quote I have is: $8432 with Argon, LowE and double strength glass. The install is mainly into brick and stucco (there are 2 groupings of 2 mulled windows into wood frame and stucco - family room). The Q I asked above is because that co said they can come in under that no problem.

The windows are:
Dining room, 72" x 38" 2 Units mulled together, bottom sash tempered
72" x 36" Eyebrow deadlite, fully tempered
Kitchen, 52" x 62" Bottom sash tempered
Family room, 72" x 62" 2 Units mulled together, bottom sash tempered
72" x 19" Deadlite 2 units mulled together fully tempered
Bedroom 3, 37" x 62" Bottom sash tempered
Bedroom 2, 37" x 62" Bottom sash tempered
Bathroom 2, 37" x 62" Obscure glass fully tempered
Office, 52" x 62" Bottom sash tempered
Master Bathroom, 48" x 36" Obscure glass fully tempered
27" x 37" Obscure glass fully tempered
Master Bedroom, 52" x 62" Bottom sash tempered

mapatton

Bump

#4 Post by mapatton »

no comments or thoughts:?

RamMan

#5 Post by RamMan »

Sounds like a good estimate to me for that many and those sizes. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

The 6500 window is a private label product manufactured by Simonton for Home Depot and installed only by Home Depot. No other dealer, distributor or contractors have access to this window. This window is sold on an installed basis from Depot only and is never sold to contractors or homeowners for their installation.

With that being said the 6500 is basically the same as the 5500 with the exception of the standard glass system and warranty. The 6500 glass system is 7/8" double strength glass, Intercept spacer & low-e/argon, the warranty is full lifetime including glass breakage. The 5500 is 3/4" single strength glass, Intercept spacer & low-e/argon, the warranty is 20 years without glass breakage. In their standard forms the 6500 is a little better but if you upgrade the glass system in the 5500 to Super Spacer you get 1" double strength with Low-e/argon now the 5500 is superior.

Simonton’s best window is the 9800 that can be purchased through Simonton distributors and the full lifetime warranty with glass breakage is available in this window.

Bill

mapatton

#7 Post by mapatton »

Just to follow up.

Ended up going with the 6500s installed by a local co. In addition I had my qty 3 8ft tall glass sliders replaces (had to go with Alside to get 8ft tall) at the same time. Total bill was just under 13K. (The Simontons were just under 8K and the sliders just under 5K).

The installation co was GREAT, and we love the windows.