Window safety concerns (preventing break-ins)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HoleInTheWall

Window safety concerns (preventing break-ins)

#1 Post by HoleInTheWall »

I would like to put a sliding glass door and 2 large windows in my basement. (House is on slope; back side of basement is open.) One concern I have is safety--that would be the obvious place to try to break in to the house. Although this is a safe area, I'm concerned about creating an easy way to break in to the house. Are some windows & sliding-glass doors stronger than others, as far as preventing break-ins? Are there things I can do (aside from metal grates) to make them stronger/safer?

Oberon

safety

#2 Post by Oberon »

Look into laminated glass windows - specifically windows rated for impact resistance in hurricane regions.

Thos windows are designed and built to withstand some serious weather and they would end up being a real surprise to someone who might try to break into your home.
:wink:

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

Regarding patio doors, they come standard with tempered glass. Tempered glass is suprisingly strong. When we get back to our warehouse with a load of old windows and doors, I usually will take old patio doors and stuff them into our dumpster. In order to save space, I will break the glass. I'm always suprised what a beating tempered glass will take without breaking. A 16 oz hammer will not break tempered glass- I've tried. I've even thrown my hammer at it- nothing. Hitting it on the very edge of the glass always works however.

So I guess I mention this to help you feel secure if you end up just getting a standard patio door. The laminated glass is a great suggestion, tho, and is worth your checking into.

PS, nice to see you again, Oberon... I almost didn't recognize you with that short reply. ;)

HoleInTheWall

#4 Post by HoleInTheWall »

Thanks very much for the advice!

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

If you are looking for additional security laminate glass is the way to go. You may be able to beat tempered glass with a hammer but when you put an ice pick in front of the hammer it will be raining glass; and it will break fairly quietly.

Bill

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

Hiya XSleeper - good to see you again as well.

I can write short replies - it is just more difficult for me than long rambling ones!

:D