Schuco - Are my expectations too high?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rfranzel

#1 Post by rfranzel »

I had Schuco windows installed in my home in Northern Virginia about two weeks ago. I believe the installers did an excellent job. Throughout, I had Corona 4000, triple pane, krypton-filled windows except for three large inline sliders that were too big for triple pane. Those were krypton-filled double pane windows.

There were a number of reasons I chose the Schuco windows. Among those reasons, a visit to a happy customer who had me feel the cool inside of the windows (she had double pane windows installed) even on a hot summer day.

It has been in the 30's and 40's this week at night, and the inside of my windows are quite cold to the touch. I don't know if they are less cool than my old windows would have been, but I was surprised by how cool the Schucos felt.

What should I be expecting? Is this reflective of a mistake on the installation, or is the expecation that the glass feel room temperature unreasonable?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Unless the glass is above 98.6 degrees it is going to feel cool to the touch. Your expectations of feeling "warm" glass are unrealistic I'm afraid.

As you have your windows a while and see how they perform under different conditions, you will see a definite difference, just not the difference you had built up in your mind. Enjoy your windows!

HoleInTheWall

#3 Post by HoleInTheWall »

Could you tell me who installed your windows (and the other customer's), if possible? Thanks!

rfranzel

#4 Post by rfranzel »

HoleInTheWall wrote:Could you tell me who installed your windows (and the other customer's), if possible? Thanks!
HoleInTheWall, I was one of the victims of Nu View, and ended up going with The WindowMan in Fairfax. They were very professional, and Han and his crew seemed to know what they were doing. It took about 10 weeks to get the windows (I'm still waiting on the Schuco French door), and one of the inline sliders is apparently bowed. The WindowMan has reordered a replacement sash to resolve the problem with the inline slider, and I'm expecting the door next week.

I had asked for references in August when I first met with The WindowMan, and the customer was one of those references in Burke. I don't feel comfortable providing you with their contact information on this forum, but I'm sure that The WindowMan will provide it if you are interested.

Good luck!

rfranzel

#5 Post by rfranzel »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Unless the glass is above 98.6 degrees it is going to feel cool to the touch. Your expectations of feeling "warm" glass are unrealistic I'm afraid.
Thanks for your response, Window4U. I guess I was thinking that if the window temperature was the same as the ambient room temperature, it would feel neither cool nor warm. You're probably right though. I've gone around the house feeling walls and furniture, and they seem to be a little cool too. Maybe I'll tape a thermometer sensor to the window to see the actual difference.

chrisexv6

#6 Post by chrisexv6 »

Im like you! Replaced my windows because everything about them felt cold. I figured the Shucos would feel warmer, and in my case they actually do. They still feel cold to the touch, but they windows they replaced were so much worse that I know the Schucos are helping.

Other things Ive noticed that you wouldnt have expected (that prove the windows are doing their job):

1. Condensation outside of windows in the morning. There are a couple threads on here about that, basically the heat is staying *inside* the house, and not defogging the condensation. Sun burns it away pretty quickly.

2. My house still feels chilly. Sounds odd, right? The best reason I have for this is pretty simple.......Im not losing heat like I used to from the old windows. Since my house is now maintaining temp better, the heat doesnt come on as much (thats noticeable to me), and since the HVAC system is forced hot air, the house feels chillier because I dont have the warm air flowing. It bothers me that its chilly, but Im sorta happy about the reason it feels that way (less on = saving me oil :) ). A little fix to be able to run the HVAC fan constantly should take care of that and let the residual heat from the furnace circulate back into the house.

If you want to feel better, I watched my in-laws get an addition put onto their house. For the addition, they went with Alcoa/Mastic windows, and for the existing part of the house they had Anderson 400 series (new construction) windows installed. The Andersens look OK, but good luck tilting the sashes in for cleaning. I had trouble yanking them in, I can only imagine my 4'8" sister in law trying to do it. The Alcoas were just OK.......I had a sample of their window at my house, and it was like a Fisher price toy compared to my Schucos when they showed up. Even my wife saw why I insisted on the Schucos, the Alcoas paled in comparison (nothing aginst Alcoa, just shows you get what you pay for). And then there is the fact that the Schuco inline slider is like a masterpiece of engineering :)

-Chris