Bay Window Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jcarufo

Bay Window Replacement

#1 Post by jcarufo »

We are in the process of remodeling a late 1950's ranch style that has a 105 x 74 front window of 179UI. At present it is a single glass pane with an aluminum storm. We would like to replace it and in that vane were solicited by Statewide Windows who originally quoted $10,252 during a 2 hour home presentation for their Bay Window, triple pane, Argon filled, Titanium Low-e product, finished and stained oak inside. It looked like a great product, but we were uneducated about replacement windows and also put off by the 'Timeshare-buy now' hard sell. There is a structural issue question concerning a support post (that must be moved, but not a big deal) of a horizontal beam that the sales people couldn't answer, so they said they would refer our situation to one of their long term, engineer installers who would contact us. We also requested referrals that were to be provided the next business day. We never got a call back on either account.

About a week later we called and left a message that received no response and a call at two weeks finally reached the sales people's manager who 'kind of apologised for their' and came out himself to bid our job this morning. He brought none of the original bid, remeasured and got 103 x 72 (A two inch difference both ways. What would the window fit when it arrived?), stated that "we could save money if we moved the post ourselves", and quoted $7,989 for a double paned product and $8,989 for the triple paned product, both installed and finished, but unstained inside. I was taken aback when he mentioned the double pane, as that option was never mentioned in the original presentation nor in the Statewide brochure that was left with us. He went on to state that the sales people weren't allowed to represent the double pane product in their home presentations, but construction and materials of the windows were exactly the same. The only difference was that the spacer in the double pane window was wider to make up the space and the "R" value was half of the triple pane design.

During this remodel project we've finally learned never to accept a bid without research which brought us to this fantastic discussion site. Hopefully, someone here with lot's more knowledge and experience will be kind enough to reflect on our experience and Statewide's products and suggest either going with one of Statewide's products or an alternative. We plan to stay in our home through our retirement, so quality and value is our bottom line. Thanks in advance for your time in reading this long disertation and taking the time to respond.
Have a great Day!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Run like crazy!! You should be able to get 3 bay windows that size for that type of money.

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

>>$7,989 for a double paned product and $8,989 for the triple paned product

Window4U, you say that "You should be able to get 3 bay windows that size for that type of money"

I was wondering if Schuco has bay windows that are that inexpensive? I'm not familiar with them at all, but that would really be a good deal. A triple pane bow that size for under $3000 installed? I'm interested.

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, I do sell white triple paned bows with oak seat, jambs and trim for slightly under $3000 all the time......stained and polyurethaned to boot.
A roof installation instead of a collar tie would be more of course.

XSleeper

#5 Post by XSleeper »

Do you happen to know if Schuco wants / has dealers in Nebraska? I honestly haven't heard of them outside of this website, so I wonder if they are available here. We are always looking for a good window at a reasonable price.

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Omaha Window & Door in Omaha, and Obermiller Seamless in Grand Island that I know of....
Schuco is always looking for good dealers in new territories.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Hey xsleeper, I know you take pride in your metalwork so I thought this might interest you.
I was at the National Remodelers Show in Chicago a couple weeks ago and was at the Tapco booth. Tapco was demonstrating a new set of rollers for the brake buddy that will be out in a couple months. They bend the coolest crown mould and the finished product has round in it like real crown moulding. I can't wait to get a set of the rollers in January or February when they release them. I think this crown it bends would look fabulous capping a window in a brick opening in an old home. I'll post some pictures if I get it before anyone else.

jcarufo

Bay Window Replacement

#8 Post by jcarufo »

Thanks so much for the replies. Can we fly you out here to do our job? After talking to the 'crew' at Statewide, $3000 sounds much more realistic. Are there specific brands/product lines that you think we should pursue? Everyone on this site seem to mention Schuco as the bar to shoot for. Do you know of a supplier/installer in the Portland, Oregon/NW area that you would/could recommend? We look forward to your continued replies. Thanks again.
Have a great Day!

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

jcarufo,
The price range for bays is anywhere from $2500-$5000 for most brands in my part of the country. Some of the premium wood windows can go higher.
That said, I have to admit I have no clue what dealers or even the factories charge for bays on the west coast. Maybe one of our west coast guys could chime in on brands and price ranges specific to your area.