Comments on Cascade Windows ThermalPro series / other advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
seattleslackers

Comments on Cascade Windows ThermalPro series / other advice

#1 Post by seattleslackers »

Hello,

I own a 1959 rambler house in Redmond Washington which has aluminum single pane windows that are very inefficient and am looking to have them replaced.

We have had several window companies out and have been researching several window manufacturers [ Home Depot (Simington Windows) seen too many bad reviews despite their great stand behind our work policy, Intermountain Glass (Cascade Windows) straight forward but a bit slow on estimates, Washington Energy Services (Milgard I think) cheesy sales and poor reviews, and Statewide Windows (Great Lakes Window) HORRIBLE sales pitch - way overpriced]. I have researched Anderson, Pella, Procraft and a few other windows as well.

We have 14 windows and 1 slider to replace.

After getting estimates anywhere from $8500 (Intermountain Glass to $36000 (Statewide - had to kick them out of our house after a horrible high pressure sales pitch)) we are now deciding to look for the type of window and manufacturer we want and then find the companies that install those and have them match/beat prices.

We have really come down to a few window manufacturers and series and I was wondering if anyone could provide information to make a good quality decision so we can get a quality window that will increase efficiency of our home energy situation while lasting a long time.

1) Cascade Windows Thermal Pro series:
http://www.cascadewindows.com/products_ ... eries.html
Has anyone had experiece with these windows? Featured on Extreme Makeover Home Edition (big whoop right?)

2) Procraft Windows 8000 series
http://www.procraftwindows.com/proseries_8000.html
A tad expensive - worth the cost? Benefits - comparisions with Cascade?

3) Milgard Classic
http://www.milgard.com/products/vinyl-w ... e-hung.asp

Basically I have had trouble finding any site that compares windows. Is it because there are so many types of windows and manufacturers out there and different climates that makes it hard to compare? If anyone has advice on what to look for in the Pacific NW for a quality replacement window please let me know.

Lastly, I am handy with tools and remodeling (completely rebuilt my kitchen and baths from subfloor and studs to beautiful Medditerranean style stone, tile and rich woods). I have just never replaced windows - neighbors and friends with same windows and house builder said it was a piece of cake. Why is it worth the extra money to have someone else install them?

Much Appreciated - Thanks

Seattle Slackers

If someone comes to your door selling something - you never want to buy it - it is never in your best interest to give into solicitation!

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

go ahead if your handy and try one, then make your decision to go on or not

seattleslackers

#3 Post by seattleslackers »

I have a garage window I was going to try if I did it myself so yes - thanks for confirming you think that is a good idea.

The main question here though really isnt whether I should do it myself (although that was the last question and in a multiple question thread that is the one most people answer).

I am mainly looking for information regarding Cascade Windows and the best way to select a window line in the Pacific Northwest.

regarding the Cascade Windows - their values are as such (all Low-E + Argon):
ThermalPro Slider (T9100)
U-Value = 0.30
SHGC = 0.33

ThermalPro Picture Unit (T9011)
U-Value = 0.26
SHGC = 0.35

ThermalPro Single-Hung (T9200)
U-Value - 0.29
SHGC = 0.33

thanks

Seattle Slackers

terri

Windows in the Pacific NW

#4 Post by terri »

Was wondering what you ended up doing on your windows........ I live in Lynnwood and I'm having the same questions about windows... Any info would be great.....Thanks, Terri