Replacing Schuco Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BuckINut

Replacing Schuco Windows

#1 Post by BuckINut »

I had schuco windows installed and they are not as advertised. The windows were in less than a week and manufacturing problems became apparent. The dealer agreed and offered to install any brand of window I choose.

I was given a few brands to consider and have it down to two. I am looking at Simonton 9800 with Kryton and North Star windows. I can not find any information on the North Star in replacement forums and would like to hear from anyone with knowledge. Both windows have advantages and I just do not know any disadvantages. Or which window would be the best.

Thanks,

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Now I've heard it all. Give us all a break. Like any dealer of any brand would do that after a week without having a factory remake parts if something was wrong. :roll:

BuckINut

#3 Post by BuckINut »

Please, I asked for good advice. Yes they are going to uninstall and reinstall new windows. If you want I can send you some digital video of the problem that is on all windows installed. We are not talking about 2 - 3 windows. I had ordered 33 windows.

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

So the dealer is just going to throw away 33 Schuco windows a week after he installed them, without having the factory address the problem? He must be a very rich dealer to be able to throw 33 one week old windows in the dumpster.

I just called Schuco customer service and they said they have had no one call up about a whole order having problems. What is going on that they don't know anything about it?

You can send me the photos or video at window4u@insightbb.com

Window4U (IL)

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I was very suspicious up until now that you were a fake poster. We get them here regularly. My apologies...I was wrong as I just received your email.

I have looked at your photos and there is nothing here out of the ordinary or that can't be easily addressed.
The sash you showed me in the first photo drips water out of the sash weep holes. It's doing what it is supposed to, though the hole the factory puts in is pressed against the bulb weatherstripping when the window is closed, so the water drains when it is first opened. A hole drilled by a serviceman horizontally directly behind the one that's there will let it drain normally....before you open the windows. This easy fix will completely address this concern. And so you know, weep holes in sashes are completely normal.

The second photo shows what is probably a burr behind the glass where the welds is, holding out the glass from the sash frame on the corners more than in the middle. Solution....order new sashes on the windows where this happens. It is a cosmetic issue.

The third is showing exterior condensation after what looks like a very humid and cold morning. This has been addressed here before and means your windows are working. This condition only happens when the outside air is saturated and the temperature drops....usually a fall condition. All well insulated windows have this happen.

All I have to say is it's silly in my opinion to not have these windows serviced. If you think this is horrible, wait until your "new" windows are installed and you start seeing all the imperfections like rough welds, etc that Schuco doesn't have. You'll be wishing you had these windows back.
From what I see, a 20 minute tweaking could have these windows 100% for you.
Are you anywhere near Chicago? If so, I'd be more than happy to do it for you myself.

BuckINut

#6 Post by BuckINut »

I will look through your response closer and make a decision. I may contact you again via email if that is okay with you. Unfortunately, I am not in the Chicago area. I live in the Columbus Ohio area. But I will be in Evanston this weekend for the football game....

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

BuckINut wrote: I may contact you again via email if that is okay with you.
Certainly. I'd be more than happy to help any way I can.

riddlewh

#8 Post by riddlewh »

I'm impressed by your professionalism Windows, especially when you admit to being wrong.

mighty zimbo

#9 Post by mighty zimbo »

Hey BuckINut

Did you get this all straightened out?