What are pros and cons of various replacement window brands.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
elbeako

What are pros and cons of various replacement window brands.

#1 Post by elbeako »

We have received quotes using 4 different brands of windows: Anlin, Certain-Teed, Milguard, and Polybau. Is one brand generally considered to be better than the others? We realize that installation is critical, but presuming that the installation will be good, which brand would you choose for a Southern California home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

randy

#2 Post by randy »

I have no experience with Anlin or Polybau, only Certainteed and Milgard. However, previous postings by some of the West coast professionals clearly favor the Polybau and Anlin windows. Certainteed and Milgard make mid grade windows that are o'kay, but not great.

Hope this helps you at least narrow it down, until one of the local guys chimes in.

elbeako

#3 Post by elbeako »

Thank you very much for your help.

kris

#4 Post by kris »

make sure the contractor you select is reputable. polybau sells alot of windows thru all brand and the window broker. try cslb.gov and the BBB web sites. use the "search" feature on this site for more info.

elbeako

#5 Post by elbeako »

Thank you.

mj

#6 Post by mj »

elbeako wrote:Thank you.
Hi
I am interested to know what company or window brand you decided on?

I too am looking at Anlin, Certain-Teed, Milguard.

elbeako

#7 Post by elbeako »

No decision yet, (Not too many responses to my question, unfortunately.) but am leaning to Polybau.

mj

#8 Post by mj »

I am looking at Bryn Mawr II and the Somerton II window by Certain-Teed. I also really liked the Anlin windows but the price was too high.

elbeako

#9 Post by elbeako »

We were told by several installers that Milguard is a "builders" window. The implication was that builders put them into new construction because they are adequate and they are cheaper to buy than other brands.

We were also told that Anlin formerly built the windows for Certain-Teed, but went on their own perhaps 4-5 years ago. We were told by several installers that Anlin was superior to Certain-Teed. (Our neighbor, however, just had Certain-Teed installed by an installer who now claims that they are better than Anlin, although six months ago this same installer claimed that Anlin was better.

The quotes for Anlin were about 5% higher than for Certain-Teed. None of them are giving them away for free, that is for sure.