Comparing Window Features

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Big D

Comparing Window Features

#1 Post by Big D »

I am looking for opinions on these double hung window features.
1. Constant force balance vs. block and tackle.
2. U value of .33 vs. .32.
3. 3/4" glass vs. 7/8" glass.
4. Spacer systems, u-channel vs. c-channel vs. warm edge.
5. Vinyl vs. fiberglass frames.
6. Contractors Select 6000 by ViWinTech vs. Homestar by Home Guard.
These windows will be installed in Northern Indiana and subject to cold winters and humid summers.

Dan

#2 Post by Dan »

Here's my opinion of your questions:

1. Constant force balance vs. block and tackle.
Both are good systems. The constant force seems to be the most popular but the block & tackle is rated to last longer. The block and tackle can rattle in the window a little.

2. U value of .33 vs. .32.
IMHO, if you are paying extra to go from .33 to .32 you are not getting much for your money.

3. 3/4" glass vs. 7/8" glass.
The 3/4" glass is better is you are going with double glazed insulated. Once you get over a 1/2" spacer in insulated glass convection currents inside the glass can actually help the cold transfer from the cold side of the glass to the warm side.
3/4" glass really does not lend itself to triple glazing. Most triple glazed windows are 7/8"+.

4. Spacer systems, u-channel vs. c-channel vs. warm edge.
U-Channel is aka Intercept. If I was manufacturing 100,000 windows a year I'd be using Intercept.
Warm edge can be almost anything else except aluminum spacers. My favorite is Edgetech's Super Spacer.

5. Vinyl vs. fiberglass frames.
Vinyl is the material of choice over fiberglass. The production of fiberglass linears is a very slow process which makes it more expensive in a window. Fiberglass is harder for the manufacturer to work with as it is more abrasive on the equipment such as punches and saws. Also, since the fiberglass windows are mechanically fastened, they are more labor intensive to manufacture. All of these features make the fiberglass more expensive. There are many advantages to fiberglass such as being paintable, less prone to expansion and contraction but I'll stick with vinyl.

6. Contractors Select 6000 by ViWinTech vs. Homestar by Home Guard.
I'm familiar with ViWinTech but know little of Home Guard. I've know ViWinTech for about 5 years ever since they stopped manufacturing the Certainteed Windows. I've seen some positive articles about them in some of the industry trade magazines.

Hope this helps!

Big D

#3 Post by Big D »

Thanks for the information.

bbandcc

Which did you choose?

#4 Post by bbandcc »

I'm considering the Homestar by Home Guard and would like to know the results of your search. If you went with Home Guard, what are your thoughts?