Schuco and NES (Massachusetts) quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sdupre

Schuco and NES (Massachusetts) quote

#1 Post by sdupre »

How far off is the $16.4k estimate below? We live in Central Massachusetts.

Our neighborhood has about 35 identical 1980 colonials just like ours (1700 sq ft)

We got a sales call from the New England Sash / Schuco monopoly.
(too late, it was before we read the forums here). They offered "big discounts" for "winter" work....

Like many that post on these forums we were interested in Schuco.

NES pushes the Schuco Corona 4000 triple pane, low-E, TPS, krypton, double hung, PAL locks, etc, etc.. So we said "OK" to an estimate for the best.

Windows
======
13 double-hung windows TOTAL.

10 - 32x56
3 - oddballs (bathrooms, kitchen, all on back of house).

First quote: $20k
Second quote ("if you sign tonight"): $16.4k

(this all during the "usual" 4 hour marathon they put you through)

Now let's get to the extras on the windows...

We wanted grids (cost: $9 per square)

Of the 10 32x56:
- 8 are in the front and we want 9 over 9 grids for "the look". ($162/per window)
- 2 with 6 over 6 grids (on the back of the house). ($108/per window)

$1512 extra TOTAL for the 32x56 for grids.

The "oddballs" will also have grids
6 over 6 cost $108 (x2)
8 over 8 cost $144 (x1)

$360 extra for the "oddball" windows to have grids.

===================
$1872 EXTRA for grids TOTAL.
===================

Does a $16.4K (including capping the frames with vinyl) seem even remotely in the ballpark? (remember the $1872 extra for the grids)

I'm thinking more like $10k tops.

I don't like NES tactics and will probably go with Gorell instead. NES have 38 complaints with BBB but not much with installation, mostly other customer service issues. (our BBB no longer puts details, just summaries so it's hard to gauge the true problems and resolutions)

If NES does 1000 installs per year (my unscientific calculation based on their crew size and gross sales of $24 mil), that's 3.8% complaint rate. Don't know how they measure up compared to others.

As the lone Schuco dealer in the area, they have you over a barrel. The Connecticut dealer doesn't sound much better (from forum posts)

If you're looking at mid-high end in the Central Massachusetts area, what brands and companies are best? I don't mind paying $1000 per hole... if the sills are gold plated....

From the land of the "Big Dig" (into your pockets) aka "big gouge"

Window4U and Fenex - would especially like your input... Can you give a ballpark "cheap", "average" and "ripoff" ranges for these Schuco Corona 4000 windows? (take my 32x56 size as a good average for a small colonial window)

Since they sell these things like the Big Dig items, what prices should we consider "fair" at the high end (where all these sales tactics exist)? I've only seen a few posts that ballpark windows at $750 or so (is this with or without grids?)

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

"I'm thinking more like $10k tops."

You would be thinking correctly with that number.

sdupre

#3 Post by sdupre »

Another quote from a local Gorell rep - Collegiate Window Systems from Paxton, MA. He does work all through New England.

What a difference. Nice sales call, no pressure. He was willing to sell us one or two windows (back of house - to see if we liked them) or all or none. Prices good for 1 year (2 in some cases)

(Arguably, I know) similar class of windows to Schuco corona 4000.

5305 Gorell, triple pane, argon/krypton, low-e, lowest U, capped sills, etc.

Gorell -> $568 each x 13 (6 over 6 grids)
Total Gorell $7384

(vs $16k ($1261-1540/window) for Schuco)

This person has a 3 person company and does mostly referral work. His portfolio (and the package he sends you) is a list of 25 letters from customers and companies he's done business with - giving glowing recommendations for his *installers* particularly and the business in general.

Do your research. Get more estimates. It's basic, I know. Learn from others' mistakes. Talk to your neighbors.

The BBB rating isn't a good indicator, unfortunately. Companies pay a fee to list and the Worcester, Mass one sanitizes the original complaint so they can classify the issues more easily. Less work for the BBB, but less raw information for the consumer. Original complaint information isn't listed. Everything shows "resolved" which means nothing.

So, don't discount small companies carrying the major brands. Many make an OK living selling decent products at a reasonable price using installers they trust and have worked with for decades.

There are honest people out there. If you've been reading these boards, you know Window4U (IL), Fenex and others are honest people that want to help. Wish they were in New England. I'd buy from them.

I looked at WoodRight (Andersen) because of our wood trim inside but it's also out of my price range given the lower overall performance numbers.

Thanks Window4U (IL) and Fenex for your help.