Simonton 5300 / 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Simonton 5300 / 5500

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

What are the differences between the Reflections 5300 and 5500 series? Is the 5500 an upgrade over the 5300 or is it just a different style / line with similar options?

Thanks

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

The 5300 is model is a 5050 with a stepped sill and low-e/argon standard. The 5500 is a totally different window of higher quality with a heavier main frame and sash and additional points of weather-stripping; low-e and argon is standard in the 5500 as well.

I never sell the 5300 because the 5500 is not much more. If I need a less expensive window I sell the 5050 with Low-e Argon.

Bill

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

What is the typical cost to "upgrade" from a 5300 to a 5500 series window (I will be buying 18-20 windows, all double strength glass). Also what would the additional cost be to upgrade to a Super Spacer set-up?

The contractor I am dealing with has not sold many 5500 series windows saying that he believes 5300 series gives us the best bang for the buck for the Houston environment. (he also claims that his pricing for the 5300 is closer to that for the 5050 than the 5500). After trying to do some research on the Intercept versus Super Spacer I am still not sure what the improved performance (in terms of insulation) would be - is it on the order of a few percent (over the entire window area) or more?

I understand that the Super Spacer may improve insulation at the glas / frame interface, retain argon gas better, and also prevent stress build-up in the glass, but couldn't find any info on whether it was suited for the Houston, Texas enironment.

I have also read that there may be different low-e coatings for regions in the US - is this something that is speciafiable on the 5300/5500 series?

Thanks

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The 5500 comes with an extruded aluminum screen frame, the 5300 comes with a rolled form aluminum screen frame - the flimsy kind. The 5300 is available only with flat grids between the glass, the 5500 is available with flat or sculptured grids. I don't know what the price difference is, since I don't offer the 5300. It can't be much.

The Super Spacer upgrade takes the I.G. unit to 1", from the 3/4" IG unit that comes with the Intercept Spacer, and automatically includes double strength glass. Yes it is a worthwhile upgrade in Texas. The 1" IG unit will be slightly better at blocking noise, and the Super Spacer is better at keeping the Argon gas from seeping out. It is about a $22.00 upgrade, but the double strength glass that you were getting in the 5300 is a $7.00 upgrade. So for you, it would be an additional $15.00 a window.

Another great upgrade is the reinforced sash for $7.00 a window. It will have aluminum inside the meeting rail, and increases the DP rating of the window tremendously. I don't sell a window without it.

The Simonton plant in Oklahoma uses the proper Low-E for Houston, a low-solar low-e with a SHGC of .29 -.31. The only way to lower the value, is to move into their triple pane windows, in the 9800 series. The standard Low-E will serve you well, unless you get a lot of direct summer sun.

Your salesperson is typical; he knows about what he wants to sell, and little else. Good luck.

oceanengineer

#5 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks - I will probably check with a few more contractors before I make a decision. Can anyone recommend reliable contractors for the Houston area?