Window installer and brand choice advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Steph

Window installer and brand choice advice

#1 Post by Steph »

Hello:
I own a 1948 house and need to replace some of the original wood windows. I am in Seattle, WA. I'd really appreciate some advice. I've decided to go with vinyl for cost and maintenance but am concerned about how that will effect the look of the window. I'll need lots of woodworking done on a few of the windows since there is rot.

Does anyone have experience with Keystone Windows? They are on Mercer Island and have three carpenters on their staff. They gave me a long list of references so that seemed a good thing.

The three full-frame windows they work with are Weathervane, Milgard Classic and Simonton. The Weathervane is a very nice looking window with the SDL grids. However, I cannot find any information on their durability and quality. I know Simonton is more expensive and actually had Home Depot in to show me their windows (made by Simonton) and liked them - though not them as an installer.

From reading your posts, it seems like the Milgards are mid-grade windows. Are there any excellent vinyl products out there that are not overly expensive? And, how do I really pick a good installer who can handle the wood replacement?

Thanks very much,
Steph