Energy Efficient French Doors???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
glassHouse

Energy Efficient French Doors???

#1 Post by glassHouse »

I am looking to replace a couple of French (double) doors. Currently, I have swing doors (one fixed one swings) that are 1979 double pane (probably about U=0.5). I have two sets like this.

I have been upgrading my windows to triple pane, Krypton filled but have not had much luck finding swing doors with the same. The rough opening is 5'-1" by 6'-8 1/4" so I am a bit worried that the slider is going to look a bit small and change the look and feel of the room too much.

I am also looking to change a couple of single french doors. The RO for that location is 2'-9 7/8" by 6'-8 1/4". Again energy efficiency is key as all four of these doors face the NW on a hill with very high wind so they represent a big chunk of my thermal load. It is pretty easy to find stuff that is U=0.3 ish but I would really like to get more efficient. Will consider new construction (e.g. breaking it back to the rough opening) or "replacement".

I hope someone has some experience with good (and bad) choices that they can share?

glassHouse

#2 Post by glassHouse »

I just noticed that Shuco is selling a swing door now according to their website!.

They call it an Outswing French door and they have another called an Outswing 1 Panel Patio door.

Unfortunately, the website has no pictures. Anybody have experience with
either of these.

I also notice that NFRC does not have any efficiency numbers on this?

Anyone know why or where these numbers can be found?

Thanks,

ppj

#3 Post by ppj »

We have installed at least one of these in MN, that I know of. They are really heavy. The ones that were installed were the double French Outswing door. Very strong.

The fact that they outswing to the exterior is a great benefit. Versus many that swing inside.

They should have similar U-Values as the traditional American Sliding door.

shore2pleaseNj

swing patio door

#4 Post by shore2pleaseNj »

Gorell has a Swing Patio door. It has a triple glass krypton and double low e option. nfrc .24 u factor. I dont know what part of the country your in but their website had a dealer link you can contact your dealer in your location.

glassHouse

#5 Post by glassHouse »

Thanks ppj and shore2pleaseNj for responding,

ppj, I am sure you don’t install in New England but if you did, what would be a fair price for the installation of two double doors and two single doors (4 openings) ballpark? I have seen the Schuco window and know it to be high quality. Did you get the feeling that the door (you said heavy and strong) had the hardware to close it up tight (infiltration??) and keep it together for the long haul? Does it go all the way back to the rough opening or does is it a “replacementâ€

Tru_blue

Outswing vs. Inswing

#6 Post by Tru_blue »

If your current doors are inswing, you're probably accustomed to an exterior screen door. If you opt for outswing doors, you may wish to consider what you will require for a screen door. Many outswing doors are not available with interior screens of any type.

glassHouse

#7 Post by glassHouse »

That is a good point in general but we actually don't use screens. The doors are really used more as windows than doors (seldom opened and never left open). In fact, in the current configuration, only one opens which would be fine with me if I found a good replacement.

Tru_blue

Outswing Doors

#8 Post by Tru_blue »

glassHouse wrote:(seldom opened and never left open). . .
If you don't need a screen door then outswing works great, and as you said, they're "never left open." If an outswing door is left open, the wind could catch it and destroy it.