Advanced Home technologies. NE Wisconsin.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gtrman79

Advanced Home technologies. NE Wisconsin.

#1 Post by gtrman79 »

Hello all. I am new here. I plan on replacing my wood rope and pulley windows because of the cold air and the mold on the sashes. I have the old switching of the screen and storms each year. And I have no idea what to go with for windows. I would prefer not taking out the whole frame because of the woodwork inside the home.

But here was my first encounter with a place 20 minutes from me called Advance Home technologies. I was going to just replace the windows in my kids room. So I have 4 windows, 3 of them 30 X 42, and one 30 X 55.

Specs. - Triple pane, Krypton gas, Vinyl with Aluminum channel running inside, Low-E, No grilles, tilt out, 1/2 screen.

They make, sell and install them with no outside contractors or distributors. They would come and install them, replace ANY bad part of MY wood window frame at no charge. And would wrap the window trim also to a style of color they have available. Their installation I had never seen before. They make a cut on the outside of the window frame and install them from the outside without disturbing inside trim.

Warranty - 55 years non-prorated and transferable. Glass, screen, and labor (worksmanship) was 10 years. Which I kind of liked this because it wasn't the old "lifetime of the product" warranty. Also could guarantee fuel savings. (which I know is hard to believe). The man was at the home for 4 hours. But the price was hard to swallow.

$4800 for 4 windows. He did do a total of $37,000 for 26 windows. Majority of them 30 X 61. Man, that's just about 1/2 the price my house was. And he could of course do financing. I am sure I left out other specs I just can not remember. Here is the website. Not much to it.

http://www.ahtwindows.com/

I guess I am not asking as much the opinion about this company because we have decided not to go with them. But more of what is all out there, good and bad.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

$4800 for 4 windows is bordering on outrageous, in my opinion, even if they do a perfect job and install the world's best vinyl window. Almost any normal type of vinyl window (not bay, bow, knocking new holes, etc.) installed over $850 is pushing things on reasonable cost. Look around and you'll probably find some other local local contractors that can install midrange vinyl for at or just under $500/window. Higher end stuff/options and more difficult installs may be up to $750/window, and you can go almost as low as you want on the low end for some real junk (as low as $150 in some cases!).

gtrman79

#3 Post by gtrman79 »

Thanks for the info! Do you think it is wise to get triple pane with Krypton where I live? I am about 1/2 hour north of Green Bay.

If that is a good choice, so far Schuco has been the only "bigger" company I can find with that option. And I can't find a rep but way over by the Minnesota border. But I am not done looking yet. I am looking at all the brands I see mentioned here. The only thing is I see a lot of stuff on the east coast and west coast. Not much here in WI.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

There should be plenty of triple-pane companies around WI (and it may be worth considering in your area, for the right price). Other than Schuco, check for local companies offering brands like Simonton, Alside, Gorell, Great Lakes, Republic, Soft Lite, Sunrise, etc. You can also try the "Request a Quote" link above.

gtrman79

#5 Post by gtrman79 »

wow thanks! Out of those the only ones I have heard of are Simonton and Alside. I guess I have much shopping to do!!