need sound proofing windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tarenstein

need sound proofing windows

#1 Post by tarenstein »

My house is along a very busy street and I need to put in windows that will help decrease the noise. I was considering double pane windows but I am now considering sound proof windows because there is supposedly much better noise reduction with these windows. Has anyone have experience with this issue. Toni

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

Look into Gorell's Armor glass window, this will help a great deal, traditional double glass with argon gas will help with some of the noise, assuming you have wood or aluminum older windows but not nearly as much as the ones with armor glass.

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

Depending on the amount of sound control you need there are several products available today. Some of the products may not be available for your location. Armor glass from Gorell is a good solid product. It has laminated glass which is two pieces of glass with a plastic center much as if it were a sandwich. Most high end manufacturers offer this, cost adds about $12 per sq ft. Some manufacturers simply increase the thickness of the glass for better sound control like Great Lakes does. The mondo best sound control unit is the Milgard quiet line with multiple options in glass but these get pretty pricy. If you currently have single pane glass you will notice a difference with double pane and even more reduction with triple pane. Good luck, I hope this helps.